>I was also thinking of terms.  I was of the understanding that true
>DSL...the swtiching of the digital to analog to run on long copper lines
>maxes around 6mbit.

Nope. The newest format, VHDSL2, provides up to 250 Mbps full duplex over
twisted-pair copper. It was designed to work over POTS lines. Max
distance from the CO is 3 miles. At that distance the data rate drops to
4 Mbps.

Over fiber, FiOS can hit 2488 Mbps downstream, half that upstream.

Look at Wikipedia "List of Device Bandwidths." The fastest DSL and FiOS
services are faster than the fastest cable services.