>Bottom line. The ceo waved my early termination fee and that was the last
>I heard of it but he did say that the salesman was wrong.  I could have
>bought the phone without the data plan.  but it was too late then.

The company stores seem to be terribly uninformed and tend to err on the
side of screwing the customer. I stopped going to my local T-Mobile store
due to such ill treatment. I found I could get the hardware I wanted from
other sources (e.g. the Web and even Walmart) and negotiate the service
by phoning in to customer service.