Unfortunately, the original story will be quoted forever. On the
Internet, there is no such thing as a retraction.

There was another followup:

http://www.macworld.com/article/137267/2008/12/antivirusremoved.html

[Apple removes antivirus support page

by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld.com

A support page on Apple's Web site recommending users purchase
antivirus software for their Macs received a lot of attention over the
past couple of days, but on Tuesday Apple removed the page from its
Web site.

"We have removed the KnowledgeBase article because it was old and
inaccurate," Apple spokesman Bill Evans, told Macworld. "The Mac is
designed with built-in technologies that provide protection against
malicious software and security threats right out of the box."

The Web page seemed to go against Apple's newest ad campaigns that
suggested only the PC needs antivirus software. Even though the page
has been removed, Apple did not tell customers to absolutely not
protect themselves.

"Since no system can be 100% immune from every threat, running
anti-virus software may offer additional protection," said Evans]

Thanks for the corrective followup.

Richard P.