Yes, there are splitters with different impedance's. Cox has the cable
hitting the splitter and then the lowest impedance output (3.5db) of
the splitter along with the shortest run of cable going to the modem.
The higher impedance (7.0db) connections go to the TV sets. One time
after doing some maintenance the connections got mixed up and the Cox
help desk was able to see this through the modem signal strength
reading. I swapped the terminals back and the signal strength came
back up to normal. Here is an example of a similar splitter:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3399

Regardless, your numbers seem abnormally low for cable on a regular
basis. Adding 30 to 40% by bypassing the TV isn't a solution. Tony is
probably right in suggesting that the bigger problem is more likely
outside your house, rather than inside. I had a similar issue and the
technicians found a bad connection at the pole and a shorting out
cable, both problems outside. Get a technician out there.

Richard P.