I found some info on the Internet which seems to indicate that while a
USB1 cable should work for USB2, there might be poorly made USB1
cables which won't.

"The original USB 1.1 cable standard is sufficient for USB 2.0 use if
the cable maker adheres to the standard. The trouble is that cable
makers found that they could cheat on the standard and it would still
work with USB 1.1. These cheap cables fail with USB 2.0.
While many cables have "High Speed" or "Ver. 2.0" written on the
insulation, there are many cables without such writing that do meet
the standard and work fine.
Actually, any cable that meets the USB-IF's specs for USB v1.1 is also
USB 2.0-capable. The USB-IF never issued any updated specs specific to
USB 2.0.
The trouble is that there are a lot of cables out there that do not
even meet USB 1.1 spec."

Richard P.