There is a standardized approach but they have chosen not to implement
it throughout the production line due to costs. In an all Digital
production world which doesn't yet exist, the video and audio can be
locked together so it will always be in synch. In the real world, they
have chosen not to implement a work-around solution which is
monitoring. The master control operator could watch for this very
easily, and have the transmission person adjust the signal for it.
This was done in analog broadcasts 24/7 with the video levels.
Anything over 100% video level was an illegal broadcast so it was
imperative that it be adjusted down to 100% or less, lest fines be
incurred for bleeding over into an adjacent spectrum. Satellite
operators had the authority and were required to pull a signal off the
air if it violated the limits. Unfortunately, there are no fines
involved for out of synch broadcasts so it is no longer done. All it
would take to manually correct the problem at their end is for it to
be mandated by management. This solution would apply to all providers
of content, not just WETA. If their signal gets redistributed through
cable, then the cable operator should also correct any problems
CREATED during their distribution. Ultimately, the homeowner would be
responsible for the equipment at their end so no other synch problems
are introduced.

I think that because there are so many variables involved that they
have just given up. The only time the problem is addressed at the
source is when there is a "national speech" during prime time. They
don't want to look bad there, do they???

At least they replied to you.

Richard P.