On 08/13/2010 04:40 AM, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 08/12/2010 10:16 AM, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 04:55:25PM +0100, Chris Mayo wrote:
>>> In 0.22 libconcord.py sets: ABI_VERSION = 2
>>> causing it to look for libconcord.so.2
>>
>> Crap. That should have gone 0 ->  1, not 0 ->  2.
>>
>> I have to release a 0.23 this weekend anyway, I'll fix that.
>
> I think it was originally 1 not 0. I don't think this value should have
> been changed at all, since when I build latest CVS, the link command
> includes:
>
> -Wl,-soname -Wl,libconcord.so.1 -o .libs/libconcord.so.1.1.0
>
> ... and the Python bindings should be looking for the soname.

I need to not talk from memory and look at the code.

OK, it should be 2, because the so-version should be 2.0.1:

-libconcord_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 1:0:0 -lusb
+libconcord_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 2:0:1 -lusb

I bumped the version due to the change in API.

However, I misunderstood how that gets put into a final version number.

Since this says we are version 2, but support 1 previous version, the
so-version changed from 1.0.0 to 1.1.0. If I'd made this 2:0:0, then it
would have been 2.0.0.

So the so-version changed, but sorta not in the way I expected.

So really what we want is ABI_VERSION = 1.1, though I don't know if python
supports non-integers there. I have to get to work, I'll look into it tonight.

--
Phil Dibowitz                             p...@ipom.com
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
 and those who matter don't mind."
 - Dr. Seuss