On 08/31/2010 06:08 AM, Stephen Warren wrote:
> So, perhaps:
>
> // Returns TLOConnectivity, TLOUpdateConfiguration, TLOUpdateFirmware
> TopLevelOperation *gen_op_from_website_file(remote, filename);
> // Always returns TLOBackupFirwmare
> TopLevelOperation *gen_backup_firmware_op(remote, filename)\
> // ...
> TopLevelOperation *gen_restore_firmware_op(remote, filename)
> TopLevelOperation *gen_backup_configuration_op(remote, filename)
> TopLevelOperation *gen_restore_configuration_op(remote, filename)
> // or one function per operation type:
> Status tlo_execute(tlo, callback, ...)

I guess I just don't see the advantage here over just making our existing
API more top-level-oriented, ala:

update_configuration(pof)
backup_configuration(filename)
update_firmware(pof)
backup_firmware(filename)
set_time()
get_time()
reset()

I totally buy your argument that update_configuration should reset and set time.

> In practice, users can press CTRL-C while running any application, or
> click the cancel button in congruity (which will abort between
> libconcord API calls right now), or just unplug their remote. In this
> case, the worst that should happen is the remote booting into safe mode
> and needing another firmware or configuration update attempt.

Sure, but then you KNOW your breaking out of a program in the middle, as
opposed to a nice "cancel" button that implies a nicer cancel. No?

--
Phil Dibowitz                             p...@ipom.com
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
 and those who matter don't mind."
 - Dr. Seuss