On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 09:07, John J. Foerch <jjfoe...@earthlink.net>wrote:

> prompt).
> > >
> > > I'm sorry, I misspoke.  That command downloads the file to a temporary
> > > directory, not your cwd, and deletes it when the command is finished.
> >
> > Hmm ... maybe a misunderstanding, but how do I use it if it is
> > immediatley deleted?
>
> The temporary file is deleted after the program exits.  This is designed
> for viewers; it's the wrong tool for using an alternative downloader.

Just to clarify, this is the behavior of shell-command-on-file (bound to
x).  In particular note that this runs the specified command with the path
to the temporary file as an argument, which would not be a correct
invocation of, say, wget.  shell-command-on-url (bound to X) will just run
the command with a URL as an argument, which would potentially work for
wget.