Dear John,

Thanks for the reply, and sorry I couldn't act on it right away.
I've now added

session_pref("general.autoscroll", false);
user_pref("general.autoscroll", false);

to my init file and restarted. The behavior is unchanged -- I still
get the disk whenever I middle-mouse. (about.config confirms that the
variable is set to false.)

I'm using conkeror.mozdev.org conkeror 1.0pre with Ubuntu 10.04.4,
Mozilla XULRunner 1.9.2.28 - 20120313062326

> I have never heard of this feature interfering with
> pasting into text fields.

I see that I mistated the problem. The problem is how to paste text
into a text field that's already primed to accept keyboard input,
without having to move the mouse pointer there.

Though in fact I *would* like to disable autoscroll in any case.
Even when I'm reading erotic stories, I still have one hand free ;-)
so autoscroll just gets in the way.

Thanks,

Silvio