1a. Conlang punctuation.
    From: Leonardo Castro
1b. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    From: George Corley
1c. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    From: Mechthild Czapp
1d. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    From: C. Brickner
1e. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    From: Roger Mills
1f. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    From: Adam Walker
1g. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    From: H. S. Teoh
1h. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    From: Douglas Koller
1i. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    From: BPJ
1j. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    From: R A Brown

2.1. Re: Vocalic alternation (was: Is Esperanto Indo-European?)
    From: Padraic Brown
2.2. Re: Vocalic alternation (was: Is Esperanto Indo-European?)
    From: George Corley

3. Early draft for 'nym' URI
    From: DataPacRat

4.1. Re: Sold here / for sale / on sale / on sale here
    From: Roger Mills
4.2. Re: Sold here / for sale / on sale / on sale here
    From: Padraic Brown

1a. Conlang punctuation.
    Posted by: "Leonardo Castro" leolucas1...@gmail.com
    Date: Sat Jun 8, 2013 7:23 am ((PDT))

Do your conlangs have any punctuation peculiarities?

For contextualization:
www.quicksilvertranslate.com/570/some-punctuation-peculiarities

Até mais!

Leonardo

1b. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    Posted by: "George Corley" gacor...@gmail.com
    Date: Sat Jun 8, 2013 7:42 am ((PDT))

Generally, for romanizations I just use the same conventions as English for
punctuation and capitalization.  Unless your language exists in the real
world, there's really no need to come up with special rules for punctuation.

In-world conscripts are a different animal, though I'm thinking that for my
fantasy world none of the conscripts will be using punctuation or
whitespace (it's a low-literacy environment, so such conventions may not
have developed.  Heck, there are plenty of modern scripts that don't use
spaces between words.)

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Leonardo Castro <leolucas1...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Do your conlangs have any punctuation peculiarities?
>
> For contextualization:
> www.quicksilvertranslate.com/570/some-punctuation-peculiarities
>
> Até mais!
>
> Leonardo

1c. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    Posted by: "Mechthild Czapp" rejista...@me.com
    Date: Sat Jun 8, 2013 7:50 am ((PDT))

On 08.06.2013, at 15:23, Leonardo Castro wrote:

> Do your conlangs have any punctuation peculiarities?
>
> For contextualization:
> www.quicksilvertranslate.com/570/some-punctuation-peculiarities
>
> Até mais!
>
> Leonardo

Rejistanian ,being a language not natively written in Latin, uses its
punctionation peculiarities in transliteration as well. The weirdest thing is
,that subclauses are enclosed in two kinds of comma,.

1d. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    Posted by: "C. Brickner" tepeyach...@embarqmail.com
    Date: Sat Jun 8, 2013 8:35 am ((PDT))

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Leonardo Castro <leolucas1...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Do your conlangs have any punctuation peculiarities?

In Senjecas:

a. An interpunct (⋅)is used instead of spaces between words.  This is no
longer used in contemporary scripts, although it may be seen in formal writing.
b. The function of the comma to set off vocative exclamations is taken by a
period (.).
c. The function of the comma to set off dependent clauses, is taken by an em
dash (—).  Senjecas makes no distinction between restrictive and
non-restrictive clauses.
d. The function of the period is taken by two raised dots (:).
e. The end of a paragraph is marked by three dots (⋮).
f. The function of quotation marks is taken by the quotative particle ɱa(r)
placed before and after the quoted words.
g. Question marks and exclamation points are not used.
h. The spelling of Senjecas is unicameral, i.e., there are no capital letters.
Thus, capital letters are not used when the language is transliterated.

Charlie

1e. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    Posted by: "Roger Mills" romi...@yahoo.com
    Date: Sat Jun 8, 2013 1:02 pm ((PDT))

Punctuation is not very well developed in my Kash script. However, a period
(end of sentence) is a dash _ on the line.

Comma look like our hyphen.

Hyphen (in some compounds, also separates 000 in large numbers) looks like our
period.

Decimal point is like a straight comma (not sure it's in the script, however).

There are others, but I'm not entirely sure what/where they are....

I think there's punctuation marks in the Gwr script, but I haven't used it in
such a long time that I forget.....

1f. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    Posted by: "Adam Walker" carra...@gmail.com
    Date: Sat Jun 8, 2013 1:50 pm ((PDT))

Carrajina is a Romance language spoken in an alternate history in
North Africa. It uses the inverted question and exclamaition marks
like Spanish does. But the can appear inside the sentence if only part
of the sentence is a question or exclamation. Also only the following,
not the sreceeding exclamation mark is used with an interjection.
Quotes tend to be introduced by a colon and surrounded by guillamets.
Dashes are used in some places where English would use a comma, but it
can't fully explain the rules yet. Appostrophies are used in
contractions.

Gravgaln is an alien language that uses its own script. Words are
delineated (pun!) with a Devanagari-style binding head line. Names are
written under a single line, but with a colon separating
first:last:etc. (A fully-named Gravgurdan has eight names!). A period
is a pyramid of three dots. A double colon:: ends a paragraph. Quotes
start and end with a rickrack-lke vertical zigzag before and after. I
am unsure if there is any other punctuation.

I'm reasonably sure Tvern El had punctuation of some sort, but I can't
remember what it was, at present

Adam.

On 6/8/13, Leonardo Castro <leolucas1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do your conlangs have any punctuation peculiarities?
>
> For contextualization:
> www.quicksilvertranslate.com/570/some-punctuation-peculiarities
>
> Até mais!
>
> Leonardo

1g. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    Posted by: "H. S. Teoh" hst...@quickfur.ath.cx
    Date: Sat Jun 8, 2013 3:29 pm ((PDT))

On Sat, Jun 08, 2013 at 11:23:32AM -0300, Leonardo Castro wrote:
> Do your conlangs have any punctuation peculiarities?
>
> For contextualization:
> www.quicksilvertranslate.com/570/some-punctuation-peculiarities
[...]

That depends on whether you're talking about punctuation in
Romanizations, or punctuation in native writing. (See below.)

On Sat, Jun 08, 2013 at 09:42:54AM -0500, George Corley wrote:
> Generally, for romanizations I just use the same conventions as
> English for punctuation and capitalization.  Unless your language
> exists in the real world, there's really no need to come up with
> special rules for punctuation.

Well, some of our conlangs are supposed to exist in a fictional analogue
of the real world, so this is still a possible consideration. :)

Anyway, for Ebisedian, the native writing distinguishes between word
breaks, sentence breaks, and paragraph breaks. These are NOT represented
as spaces or punctuation marks; rather, the glyphs have different forms
depending on whether they are medial, word-final, sentence-final, or
paragraph-final. So line-wrapping isn't guaranteed to happen between
words; it's perfectly valid (and customary) to break lines in the middle
of a word since there is no ambiguity.

Nevertheless, this system is easily mapped to English-style punctuation
in the orthography; word breaks just get translated to spaces, and
paragraph breaks translate to paragraph breaks. Sentence breaks are
translated to various English equivalents depending on context: the
native writing does not differentiate between the various kinds of
clause boundaries in English: ".", ",", ":", ";", "?", "!" are all
simply sentence-breaks. So in the orthography the translator has the
freedom to choose one of these marks based on context and analogy with
English.

For Tatari Faran, I haven't worked out the native writing system yet;
but the Romanization simply uses English conventions. The only
peculiarity is that I chose to not use capital letters at all, so
everything is in lowercase, including proper nouns. (Why? I'm not sure I
remember, I think it's because I wanted to convey the kind of
simplistic, informal culture surrounding the language, in imitation of
casual online chats where capitalization is frequently eschewed.)

In both Ebisedian and Tatari Faran, quotation marks simply use " like in
English; in the native writing, there are no such marks because the
grammar makes it unambiguous what is quoted and what isn't. At least, in
Ebisedian this is strictly the case, but in Tatari Faran, quotation
terminators are sometimes elided, so some amount of judgment based on
context may be required.

> In-world conscripts are a different animal, though I'm thinking that
> for my fantasy world none of the conscripts will be using punctuation
> or whitespace (it's a low-literacy environment, so such conventions
> may not have developed.  Heck, there are plenty of modern scripts that
> don't use spaces between words.)
[...]

Ebisedian native writing completely eschews inter-word spaces.
Word-breaks trigger a change in the glyph that represents the final
syllable of the word, so adding blank space is redundant. Moreover,
question marks and exclamation marks are not marked in any different way
from a regular sentence-break; they are usually clear from context and
grammar. And as I mentioned, line-wrapping can happen anywhere,
including the middle of a word (well, technically, anywhere at syllable
boundaries; the sanokí script uses a single glyph for the initial
consonant and a bunch of diacritics for vowels, length, etc.).

(The above only applies to the sanokí script, though. There's another
native script, called the koromokí, that uses color patterns to indicate
meaning. I haven't actually worked out any details of this, but the idea
is that color patterns represent phonemes, so one could decorate one's
walls with messages by painting the appropriate color patterns on it.
Obviously, there would be no such thing as punctuation in this system.)

Tatari Faran native writing, though I haven't fully fleshed it out yet,
is a vertical writing with short, wide glyphs that stack on top of each
other to form columns. Vowels and syllable codas are indicated by left-
and/or right- diacritics. Word-final syllables are marked with a change
in glyph or perhaps a diacritic/ligature. I haven't decided on what to
do with sentence breaks; maybe each clause will stand on its own
vertical column. There won't be anything like commas, question marks, or
exclamation marks; word order is already conveys the intention of the
utterance, so there's no need to have additional indications for it. The
san faran are not interested in such nitpicky details -- they're more
into the pragmatic side of things. So in all likelihood, TF writing will
probably only have at most a single punctuation mark for clausal
boundaries, or have no punctuation at all.

Lottery: tax on the stupid. -- Slashdotter

1h. Re: Conlang punctuation.
    Posted by: "Douglas Koller" douglaskol...@hotmail.com