1a. Re: What if "and" was a verb?
    From: Puey McCleary
1b. Re: What if "and" was a verb?
    From: taliesin the storyteller

2a. Re: OT: Language in the 2009 Constitution of Bolivia.
    From: Leonardo Castro

3a. Re: THEORY: Is Jespersen cycle a cycle?
    From: Leonardo Castro

1a. Re: What if "and" was a verb?
    Posted by: "Puey McCleary" pueymccle...@gmail.com
    Date: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:11 pm ((PDT))

I see no reason why a language can't have a verb which, more or less, means
"if."  Why, just the other day I heard about a folk who live on the other
side of the Northwind who speak a language suspiciously like Esperanto.
 Instead of having a Green Star, they have a Purple Penguin as a mascot (la
Purpura Pingveno).  And instead of the particle "se" they have the verb
"sei."

Usually one finds "sei" forming indirect statements with the particle "ke."
 These are all simple conditionals.

La Pirato seas ke si kisos la Princinon, si estos felicha.
"If the Pirate kisses the Princess, he'll be happy."

Ci seas ke ci konstruos ghin, ili venos.
"If you build it, they will come."

To form a contrary-to-fact condition, one uses the verb "sei" plus an
infinitive.  In this usage, "sei" is a modal of sorts.

Mi seis esti regho de la arbaro, mi havus kronon.
"Were I king of the forest (but I wasn't), I'd have a crown (but I don't)."

Ci seas esti tiel inteligenta, kial ci ne richa?
"If you're so smart (but you're not), why aren't you rich ('cause you're
not)?"

If should be noted that, instead of the above constructions, that the
present active participle of "sei" is used to modify a subject which is
considered honored in some way.  No distinction is made, in this case,
between a simple condition and a contrary-to-fact one.

Cia Mosto seanta volas kukajhon, mi bakos kukajhon.
"If Your Majesty wants pie, I shall bake pie."

Seanta Dio estas por ni, kiu povas esti kontrau ni?
"If God be for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31)

The adverbial form of the participle, "seante," has its own usage which
shall be described in time.

Moreover, the verb "sei" is used impersonally to describe the weather.
Compare:

Estas varme.
"'Tis warm."

Seas varme, mi manghos mian chapelon.
"If 'tis warm, I'll eat my hat."

Pluvas.
"It rains."
 Seas pluvante, mi bezonas pluvombrelon.
"If it rains, I'll need an umbrella."

To construct a negative condition, one uses a slightly different verb,
"nesei," for a simple condition.  In this case, "nesei" is placed before
the main verb, and both take the same verbal ending.

Ci neseas destruas la Ringon, Meztero estas kondamnita.
"If you do not destroy the Ring, Middle-earth is doomed."

A negative contrary-to-fact condition is formed with the verb "malsei."  It
comes after the verb, but it also takes the same ending.

Me ekdormos malseos, la klaunoj ne manghos min.
"Should I not fall asleep (though that's not likely), the clowns will not
eat me (though I doubt it)."

Finally it should be noted that "sei" can also mean "to wonder whether."
 Since it takes an entire clause as its object, the subject of this
subordinate clause is in the accusative case.

Mi seas purpurajn pingvenojn dancas.
"I wonder whether purple penguins dance."

If the subordinate clause itself contains an object, usually one can tell
the intended meaning from context.

Mi seas homon mordus hundon.
"I wonder whether the dog would bite the man."

Though sometimes one just has to guess.

Mi estas seanta la Piraton kisis la Princinon.
"I am wondering whether the Pirate kissed the Princess."
"I am wondering whether the Princess kissed the Pirate."

The verb "sei" has provided this language with few other forms lacking in
the Green Star variety of Esperanto.  The most salient of these are:

Se-plene
"Provided that" ("full of ifs")

Se-eble
"Perhaps, maybe" ("if-able")
 Se-se
"Hypothetically" ("iffy")
 Seanto
"Philosopher" ("one who ifs.")

A most popular form of "sei" has sprung up in the speech of the young folk
of this community.  For "goodbye!" the new word is "seante!" to which one
replies "seate!"  The idea is that "seante" is short for "Mi seanta vidos
cin!" the formal way of expressing "Mi seas ke mi vidos cin!," "If I see
you!"  Likewise, in some manner, "seate" is supposed to be short for "Mi
seanta estos vidata de ci!" the formal way of saying "Mi seas ke mi estos
vidata de ci!" "If I'm seen by you!"  Oh, those crazy young people, with
their hoola-hoops and iced cream sundaes and odd verbs for "if."

Alas, as of yet I have no idea how the conjunctive verbs work:

Kaji, "and, but"
Aui, "(either) ... or"
Sedi, "and/or"

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm to search for the fabled land where the folk
speak a version of Volapük, but completely in adverbs and sneezes.

Seante!

1b. Re: What if "and" was a verb?
    Posted by: "taliesin the storyteller" taliesin-conl...@nvg.org
    Date: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:28 am ((PDT))

On 2013-08-22 18:25, Garth Wallace wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
> <tsela...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In the series "there's a reason why it's called ANADEW", I give you,
>> courtesy of William Annis via Twitter, the following article, entitled "The
>> verbs for 'and' in Walman, a Toricelli language of Papua New Guinea":
>> http://linguistics.buffalo.edu/people/faculty/dryer/dryer/BrownDryerWalmanAnd.pdf
>>
>> As its title indicates, this article discusses the morphology, syntax and
>> semantics of two verbs (complete with polypersonal agreement and
>> morphologically indistinguishable from other transitive verbs in the
>> language) of the Walman language that are used to *coordinate noun
>> phrases*. In other words, verbs that literally mean "and", something
>> typologically extremely weird :).
>
> Wow, and here I rejected my idea of using a verb for "if" as unrealistic.

Warning, AFMCL ahead.

Taruven's "if" is a (defective, complemented) verb. Clause-"and" started
out the same way. The way to say that something is "equal" or
"different" involves complemented verbs. All odd bits of Taruven is due
to/hails from either  complemented-verbs or stative verbs, to the degree
that it has been suggested that proto-Taruven consisted of *only*
complemented verbs and statives.

t.

2a. Re: OT: Language in the 2009 Constitution of Bolivia.
    Posted by: "Leonardo Castro" leolucas1...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:15 am ((PDT))

2013/8/20 Padraic Brown <elemti...@yahoo.com>:
> I fully agree that a road running along the border is probably not a good
> idea —
> too many cans of worms there. A solution I would propose is to simply provide
> select Bolivian transport companies with some kind of pass that allows
> screened
> drivers & trucks to cross the border with minimal delay, allows these same
> truckers
> and their rigs to stop and rest at sanctioned truck stops along the assigned
> route and
> allows the goods to be brought into / out of the port with minimal headache.
> I'm not
> saying it needs to be free, and I'm not saying these drivers have free
> license to go
> anywhere in Peru they wish to go. A simple GPS monitor on the truck, the
> trailer
> and the driver ought to be sufficient to ensure that none of them gets too
> far away
> from where they're allowed to be. Obviously Peru ought to be justly
> compensated for the imposition, so some sort of equitable payment structure
> could
> be worked out.  A potential phase II could be some level of actual Bolivian
> port authority
> within selected Peruvian ports. Perhaps they could operate some kind of joint
> oversight,
> along with Peru, which would further facilitate Bolivia's needs and would
> link up with the
> road corridor already in place. Ultimately, the goal as I see it would be a
> system
> whereby Bolivia makes use of and pays for Peruvian infrastructure — a kind of
> minimal rental, if you will — but where Bolivia works with Peru in regards to
> ordinary
> operations and exercises its own oversight over its own trucking in the
> region. The solution
> would recognise Bolivia's needs and provide a means for them to quickly and
> inexpensively
> move goods to and fro; it would also respect Peru's sovereignty and right to
> determine who
> can cross the border. Violating transport companies would, naturally, lose
> their priviledge,
> and would also suffer consequences in both countries.
>
> So, not quite an entirely open border, and this would not allow just anyone to
> cross; neither a cession of national territory nor a complex project that
> would
> require lots of money to build (since the roads and port facilities already
> exist).
> No one loses face, everyone benefits and everyone looks good to boot: Bolivia
> gets a port and easy access; Peru gets some cash and looks good on the
> regional
> and world stage; I get a Nobel Prize for solving the problem! ;))))))))))
>
> Padraic

What is preventing you from winning a Nobel Prize might be the article
267 of the Bolivian Constitution that claims "sovereignty" over the
territory that allows Bolivian access to the sea:

"Artículo 267

I. El Estado boliviano declara su derecho irrenunciable e
imprescriptible sobre el territorio que le dé acceso al océano
Pacífico y su espacio marítimo.

II. La solución efectiva al diferendo marítimo a través de medios
pacíficos y el ejercicio pleno de la soberanía sobre dicho territorio
constituyen objetivos permanentes e irrenunciables del Estado
boliviano."

    Date: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:48 am ((PDT))

Yesterday, I noted that something similar to the Jespersen cycle might
have happened to the present continuous tense, in my 1st language and
probably in English and other languages too.

When I was going home, I called my wife to say "I'm going home"
("estou indo para casa"), but that "I'm going" was first understood
that I was already to leave my work in a few minutes.

Similarly, other words whose literal interpretation is more close to
"now" or "right now" are frequently used in the sense of "in a few
minutes", probably because people abuse them for their spouses and
parents not to keep asking them on the phone "why aren't they already
coming".

What is more strange is that words that should reinforce the sense of
"now" sometimes just make clearer the sense of "soon". In pt-BR, "Já!"
is "Now!", but "Já, já..." is almost surely "Soon...". "Agora" is
"now", but "agora mesmo" is also "soon".

Abuse of the word "literally" seems to be moving its meaning towards
"figuratively":
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/15/living/literally-definition

So, it seems that the Jespersen cycle is a case of a broader
phenomenon. Is there already a name for this type of "weaking of
meaning" that can lead to change of meaning?

What if the word "negative" is supressed from the following text?

"The history of negative expressions in various languages makes us
witness the following curious fluctuation: the original negative
adverb is first weakened, then found insufficient and therefore
strengthened, generally through some additional word, and this in turn
may be felt as the negative proper and may then in the course of time
be subject to the same development as the original word."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jespersen's_Cycle
http://people.ds.cam.ac.uk/dwew2/network_meeting_handout_english.pdf

Até mais!

Leonardo