1a. Re: Colloquial French resources
    From: Jonathan Beagley
    From: Mustafa Umut Sarac
    From: Rodrigo Aleixo
    From: R A Brown
    From: Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    From: Jonathan Beagley
    From: Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    From: And Rosta
    From: Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
    From: H. S. Teoh
    From: C. Brickner

    From: C. Brickner
    From: Matthew Boutilier
2c. Re: I am sure
    From:   p...@phillipdriscoll.com
2d. Re: I am sure
    From:   p...@phillipdriscoll.com

1a. Re: Colloquial French resources
    Posted by: "Jonathan Beagley" jonathan.beag...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:13 am ((PDT))

I'll third that.

Also, I may not be a native speaker of French, but I've lived in France for
the past two years and have a fairly advanced knowledge of Spoken French,
having also studied it at university.

There are some interesting academic articles about Spoken French (at least
as far as dislocations and future tense variation go), but personally I've
never heard of this "polypersonal" thing. Care to explain, Christophe?

Jonathan

1b. Re: Colloquial French resources
    Posted by: "Mustafa Umut Sarac" mustafaumutsa...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:39 am ((PDT))

I searched the google for polypersonal verbs and found nothing. Please link
a free paper.

Umut

1c. Re: Colloquial French resources
    Posted by: "Rodrigo Aleixo" roddyale...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:03 am ((PDT))

Normaly I'm just a lurker (hello, all! I don't think I've ever introduced
myself, Rodrigo here - Newbie conlanger)

I found these links that might somewhat help.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/116593
(there's a free paper here)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3APolypersonal_agreement#French_polypersonalism.3F

http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0501C&L=conlang&P=R18148

http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0501C&L=conlang&P=R20913

http://www.mail-archive.com/conlang@yahoogroups.com/msg00186.html

1d. Re: Colloquial French resources
    Posted by: "R A Brown" r...@carolandray.plus.com
    Date: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:05 am ((PDT))

On 30/08/2013 15:39, Mustafa Umut Sarac wrote:
> I searched the google for polypersonal verbs and found
> nothing.

You should at least have found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypersonal_agreement

Towards the end of that article there is mention of French:
"Some[who?] have observed that the French pronominal clitics
(common to all Romance languages) have evolved into
inseparable parts of the verb in the colloquial use, and so,
suggested that French could be analyzed as polypersonal."

In connexion with Spoken French, an interesting article is:
http://matnat.ronet.ru/articles/Arkadiev_TypSchool_Polysynthesis_Hand.pdf

This has been discussed on the conlang list, e.g.
http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?A3=ind0501C&L=CONLANG&E=8bit&P=829943&B=--&T=text%2Fplain;%20charset=ISO-8859-1&header=1
http://archives.conlang.info/zae/wivhun/gorqhuenwhoen.html

--
Ray
==================================

1e. Re: Colloquial French resources
    Posted by: "Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets" tsela...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:07 am ((PDT))

On 30 August 2013 16:11, Jonathan Beagley <jonathan.beag...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'll third that.
>
> Also, I may not be a native speaker of French, but I've lived in France for
> the past two years and have a fairly advanced knowledge of Spoken French,
> having also studied it at university.
>
> There are some interesting academic articles about Spoken French (at least
> as far as dislocations and future tense variation go), but personally I've
> never heard of this "polypersonal" thing. Care to explain, Christophe?

Quite simple: in Modern Spoken French, it's quite common to include all
markings of person on the verb for the subject, and optionally direct and
indirect object (the so-called "personal pronouns"), even when said
arguments are already indicated somewhere else in the sentence. So
sentences like these are common:
- _J'lui ai parlé hier à ce gars-là_ ("I talked to that man yesterday".
_lui_ is present, despite the indirect object _à ce gars-là_ being already
present in the sentence);
- _Tu vois, ma femme elle en a toujours des bonnes idées_ ("You see, my
wife always has good ideas", the subject and direct object are both marked
on the verb, by _elle_ and en_ respectively, despite being present as full
noun phrases in the sentence).
My argument is that such sentences are an indication that the so-called
"personal pronouns" have moved away from being clitics to becoming
full-blown personal agreement affixes of the verb, turning French verbs
into polypersonal verbs, marking not only the subject but also the object
and the indirect object when those are present (as in Basque for instance).
Actually, more things have become affixes to the verb: the negative mark
_pas_ for instance.
This has resulted in added freedom in the position of noun phrases, and the
sentence _tu vois, ma femmes des bonnes idées elle en a toujours_ is a
perfectly grammatical alternative to my second example above.
As such, French starts looking more like a polysynthetic language than like
its fellow Romance languages.
As for cases where those polypersonal agreement suffixes are not used, I
attribute them to code-switching, something very common in situations of
effective diglossia. This does muddy the waters a bit, but doesn't change
my opinion that the verb in Modern Spoken French has truly evolved
full-blown polypersonal agreement.

On 30 August 2013 16:39, Mustafa Umut Sarac <mustafaumutsa...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I searched the google for polypersonal verbs and found nothing. Please link
> a free paper.

I have yet to find a single good paper devoted to that phenomenon in
French. However, I've seen it mentioned in throwaway lines in linguistic
articles on more than one occasion, so I'd be surprised if no article
existed at all.

And of course during my writing of this post quite a few links have already
been given by other people. The power of the Conlang list at work! :P
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/

1f. Re: Colloquial French resources
    Posted by: "Jonathan Beagley" jonathan.beag...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:38 am ((PDT))

OK, when you explain it that way it makes perfect sense. I've seen and
heard plenty of sentences like that, but I've never heard it referred to
that way. I've certainly also seen sentences like this in articles on
dislocation in French, but I don't recall hearing mention of this
phenomenon in particular. But again, as you've mentioned, I believe there
is a strong belief that most Spoken French is simply "wrong". This is a
sentiment I heard relatively frequently in my linguistics program,
particularly from the syntax prof (Claude Muller).

Jonathan

1g. Re: Colloquial French resources
    Posted by: "Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets" tsela...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:59 am ((PDT))

On 30 August 2013 17:38, Jonathan Beagley <jonathan.beag...@gmail.com>wrote:

> OK, when you explain it that way it makes perfect sense. I've seen and
> heard plenty of sentences like that, but I've never heard it referred to
> that way. I've certainly also seen sentences like this in articles on
> dislocation in French, but I don't recall hearing mention of this
> phenomenon in particular. But again, as you've mentioned, I believe there
> is a strong belief that most Spoken French is simply "wrong". This is a
> sentiment I heard relatively frequently in my linguistics program,
> particularly from the syntax prof (Claude Muller).

Unfortunately, prescriptivism is pretty strong in France (thank the Academy
for that). But you'd think that linguists, of all people, would not fall
for it! What kind of a linguist can honestly think a form of language used
successfully by millions of people is "wrong"? What does it even mean?!
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/

1h. Re: Colloquial French resources
    Posted by: "And Rosta" and.ro...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:32 am ((PDT))

Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets, On 30/08/2013 18:59:
> On 30 August 2013 17:38, Jonathan Beagley <jonathan.beag...@gmail.com>wrote:
>> But again, as you've mentioned, I believe there is a strong belief
>> that most Spoken French is simply "wrong". This is a sentiment I
>> heard relatively frequently in my linguistics program, particularly
>> from the syntax prof (Claude Muller).
>>
> Unfortunately, prescriptivism is pretty strong in France (thank the Academy
> for that). But you'd think that linguists, of all people, would not fall
> for it! What kind of a linguist can honestly think a form of language used
> successfully by millions of people is "wrong"? What does it even mean?!

Therefore, my suspicion is that Jonathan misunderstood his professor.

Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets, On 30/08/2013 16:07:
> I have yet to find a single good paper devoted to that phenomenon in
> French. However, I've seen it mentioned in throwaway lines in linguistic
> articles on more than one occasion, so I'd be surprised if no article
> existed at all.

I don't know of a relevant article, but I too am familiar with the polypersonal
analysis of French, through channels other than Conlang, so given that, and the
facts of French, I presume that that analysis is pretty mainstream among
typologically-minded syntacticians.

--And.

1i. Re: Colloquial French resources
    Posted by: "Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets" tsela...@gmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:17 pm ((PDT))

On 30 August 2013 20:31, And Rosta <and.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, prescriptivism is pretty strong in France (thank the Academy
>
>> for that). But you'd think that linguists, of all people, would not fall
>> for it! What kind of a linguist can honestly think a form of language used
>> successfully by millions of people is "wrong"? What does it even mean?!
>>

> Therefore, my suspicion is that Jonathan misunderstood his professor.

I hope so, but having undergone the French education system myself, I know
that children from a very young age are brainwashed into thinking that
French (at least the variety we learn at school, which is Literary French
as sanctioned by the Academy) is the superior language, and anything else,
even other forms of French, are debased, inferior languages (including
English). I managed to de-brainwash myself, but that's mostly because my
love for foreign languages was too big to allow me to accept the idea that
French was somehow superior to them :P. And I know that many otherwise
intelligent people still think, to this day and age, that French is somehow
the one perfect language for humankind, and anything else is barely worth
considering. How else would you explain why French people make so little
effort into learning English? Also, as I often say, being intelligent
doesn't prevent one from believing in stupid things, it just expands the
realm of possibilities :).

>  Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets, On 30/08/2013 16:07:
>
>  I have yet to find a single good paper devoted to that phenomenon in
>> French. However, I've seen it mentioned in throwaway lines in linguistic
>> articles on more than one occasion, so I'd be surprised if no article
>> existed at all.
>>

> I don't know of a relevant article, but I too am familiar with the
> polypersonal analysis of French, through channels other than Conlang, so
> given that, and the facts of French, I presume that that analysis is pretty
> mainstream among typologically-minded syntacticians.

I hope so. The fact that French is effectively a diglossia (no different
from the Arabic, Greek during the Katharevousa period, or Latin ones)
maskerading as a single, centrally controlled language does muddy the
waters a bit, and can make people miss some otherwise obvious facts.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/

1j. Re: Colloquial French resources
    Posted by: "H. S. Teoh" hst...@quickfur.ath.cx
    Date: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:57 pm ((PDT))

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 09:17:07PM +0200, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets wrote:
> On 30 August 2013 20:31, And Rosta <and.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> > I don't know of a relevant article, but I too am familiar with the
> > polypersonal analysis of French, through channels other than
> > Conlang, so given that, and the facts of French, I presume that that
> > analysis is pretty mainstream among typologically-minded
> > syntacticians.
> >

> I hope so. The fact that French is effectively a diglossia (no
> different from the Arabic, Greek during the Katharevousa period, or
> Latin ones) maskerading as a single, centrally controlled language
> does muddy the waters a bit, and can make people miss some otherwise
> obvious facts.
[...]

This makes me wonder if most languages are actually some kind of
polyglossia, consisting of distinct sublanguages calcified from various
points of development from the ancestral language. Perhaps honorific
systems are actually examples of polyglossia that developed out of
calcified expressions of an older form of the language? Some honorific
systems have registers that behave almost like distinct languages --
e.g., in older forms of Malay, different registers not only have
distinct sets of pronouns (many of which are still in use today), but
even distinct vocabulary (certain common nouns are substituted with
presumably more archaic forms, and it's considered rude to use the
common word to refer to the same things when speaking in that register),
and in some cases, unique aspects of grammar not present in other
registers of the language.

It reminds me of certain kinds of lava flows (this is the san faran in
me coming out ;-))... specifically, pahoehoe lava. While we usually
think of the entire flow as a unit, it's actually not that simple due to
the viscosity of the lava and the fact that it is solid at room
temperature. So there is not a single "head" of the flow; instead, the
flow front consists of many "toes" of hot lava which begin to solidify
upon contact with air into a black "skin". This skin thickens over time
due to cooling by the surrounding environment, but it becomes an
insulation to the hotter lava inside, which therefore remains molten. As
long as the lava source is still feeding more lava into the flow, the
pressure of the molten lava under the solidified skin eventually finds
gaps to break forth, thus starting another "toe". This toe, upon
emerging from the solidified skin, instantly starts to solidify, so upon
reaching a certain size, it gets stuck as a solid skin holding in the
molten lava inside again. Then new molten lava under the skin will seek
new gaps to flow out through, and thus create new "toes" in the flow.

It seems an apt analogy for how language develops. The molten lava is
the inevitable language change, that, despite being held back by
solidified parts of the language, will inevitably find new areas in
which to break forth and form a new "toe" (innovation, whether
sound-wise or grammar-wise). The "front" of the lava flow, representing
the current state of the language, is not a single toe or a single
solidified skin, but an ever-changing multitude of fresh toes, newly
emerged, and solidified toes that eventually will be broken through and
covered over by new innovations, or left behind in the back of the flow,
calcified and mostly forgotten.

(If you've no idea what I'm talking about, look up pahoehoe videos on
youtube sometime -- it's pretty amazing how it flows, not as a fiery
version of a (water) river, as most people would imagine, but something
quite fascinatingly unique.)

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works.

1k. Re: Colloquial French resources
    Posted by: "C. Brickner" tepeyach...@embarqmail.com
    Date: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:57 pm ((PDT))