1a. Re: Choosing a word for "German"
    From: Padraic Brown
    From: Jörg Rhiemeier
    From: Paul Schleitwiler, FCM
    From: Scott Villanueva-Hlad

    From: Roger Mills

    From: And Rosta

    From: C. Brickner
    From: Daniel Myers
    From: C. Brickner
    From: Anaïs Ahmed
    From: C. Brickner
    From: Daniel Prohaska
    From: Anaïs Ahmed
4h. Re: To diss
    From: Scott Villanueva-Hlad
4i. Re: To diss
    From: Scott Villanueva-Hlad

1a. Re: Choosing a word for "German"
    Posted by: "Padraic Brown" elemti...@yahoo.com
    Date: Wed Sep 4, 2013 6:54 am ((PDT))

>> A couple questions to consider: where exactly in

>> central-eastern Europe? and when do the proto-Asirkans
>> come in contact with Germanic speakers?
>
>Quite so!  Both are important.

>The various T-/D- words - Duits(e), Deutsch, tysk(a), Þýska,
>tedesco - all derive from Proto-Germanic *þiud- / *þeud-
>"the people."  This would be used if the Asirkans actually
>encountered the Germans more or less peaceably through trade
>and actually conversed with them and knew what they called
>themselves.  Interesting there is a medieval Latin adjective
>_theodiscus_ which means more or less "vernacular German."

>So it really all depends where, when and how the Asirkans
>first encountered Germanic peoples.

Right. This is another important aspect: did the Germanic people(s)
the Asirkans first met come by for trade or conquest or plunder?
This might also lead to the possibility of an entirely nátive name for
the Germans: an Asirkan word for reavers and plunderers.

>> If the timing is right, you might consider basing the
>> name on the Goths,
>
>Possible - it would be a first, but why not?

The Asirkans seem to be in roughly the right place. It largely
comes down to a matter of timing. If the Asirkans do not
arise as a people with a language until the 600s, well, I don't
think the Goths will have had any effect. If they arise by the
200s or 300s when the Goths are on the move, then they
might just be a justifiable source for a name.

>I think they would use _German-_ name only if (a) they did
>not have direct contact with the Germanic peoples, and (b)
>they had strong Latin influence.  Probably both are
>unlikely.  To take up the Slav name would be likely only if
>the Asirkans had strong connexions with Slaves and, probably,
>somewhat hostile encounters with the Germanic peoples.

Yes. Even the Romanians, who, I think it's safe to say, had sòme
kind of Latin influence, have Nemțias one name for Germans. I
should think that the Asirkans would likewise be more influenced by
Slavic than by Italic or Romance. Or maybe Hungarian, depending.

>>. On the other hand, the saks- name could come
>> from the Germanic word for knife, *sahsam (this is,
>> after all, what gives us Saxon).
>
>maybe - but I'm sure the Fins and Estonians were as unaware
>of that as were the Welsh who call us English 'Saeson", i.e.
>Saxons.  It's from the tribal name, whatever its Germanic
>origin may have been.
Possibly! I do think it might just be possible that if their contact
with Germanic peoples were violent enough, they might very
well learn words like hairus — after all, they'd be stuck with
enough of them! The word itself could have been borrowed
and later applied to the by then semi-legendary wandering
reavers, even if "Hery-folk" was not the original Asirkan
name. There could be a diachronic shift here: the ancient Asirkans,
in contact with Goths could have called them something like
"Guty"; later folks, long after the Goths had moved away,
could recall them by an epithet, "Hery-folk", sword people.

>Ray

Padraic

1b. Re: Choosing a word for "German"
    Posted by: "Jörg Rhiemeier" joerg_rhieme...@web.de
    Date: Wed Sep 4, 2013 8:52 am ((PDT))

Hallo conlangers!

On Wednesday 04 September 2013 09:36:46 R A Brown wrote:

> [...]
> The various T-/D- words - Duits(e), Deutsch, tysk(a), Þýska,
> tedesco - all derive from Proto-Germanic *þiud- / *þeud-
> "the people."  This would be used if the Asirkans actually
> encountered the Germans more or less peaceably through trade
> and actually conversed with them and knew what they called
> themselves.  Interesting there is a medieval Latin adjective
> _theodiscus_ which means more or less "vernacular German."

Yes.  They are from Proto-Germanic *þeudiskaz 'of the people'.
_Teutonic_ is another matter, though.  This is based on the
tribal name _Teutones_ which, while clearly descending from
the same IE root (*teuto-) as *þeudiskaz, does not show any
traces of Grimm's and Verner's Law, leading to some scholars
doubting that the Teutones who caused so much trouble to the
Romans together with the Cimbri were a Germanic people at all.
At any rate, _Teutones_ is not a Germanic word!  (There also
is no *other* IE root that would surface as **teut- in
Germanic, as this would require two voiced unaspirated stops
in PIE, which is forbidden.)

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

1c. Re: Choosing a word for "German"
    Posted by: "Paul Schleitwiler, FCM" pjschleitwiler...@gmail.com
    Date: Wed Sep 4, 2013 8:59 am ((PDT))

"The _German-_ names derive not from any direct contact with
these peoples, but from the Latin _Germanus, Germania_ (the
origin of the Latin term is not certain)."

>From "herman" (herr man), warrior.

God bless you always, all ways,
Paul

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 2:36 AM, R A Brown <r...@carolandray.plus.com> wrote:

> [...]
> during the 3rd century, raiding the Roman provinces and
> settling on the left bank of the Rhine from the 4th century.
>
> Similarly the Romans called all the Hellenes "Graeci",
> because the Graeci were the first group they made serious
> contact with; hence we now normally call them Greeks, not
> Hellenes  ;)
>
> Presumably it is fir similar reasons that you have Estonian
> & Finnish _saksa_, the Saxons being the main group these
> people first encountered.  I don't know the origin of the
> Latvian and Lithuanian words, but I suspect it probably
> derives from the name of another Germanic 'tribe'.
>
> The _German-_ names derive not from any direct contact with
> these peoples, but from the Latin _Germanus, Germania_ (the
> origin of the Latin term is not certain).
>
> The various T-/D- words - Duits(e), Deutsch, tysk(a), ��ska,
> tedesco - all derive from Proto-Germanic *�iud- / *�eud-
> "the people."  This would be used if the Asirkans actually
> encountered the Germans more or less peaceably through trade
> and actually conversed with them and knew what they called
> themselves.  Interesting there is a medieval Latin adjective
> _theodiscus_ which means more or less "vernacular German."
>
> So it really all depends where, when and how the Asirkans
> first encountered Germanic peoples.
>

>  If the timing is right, you might consider basing the
>> name on the Goths,
>>

> Possible - it would be a first, but why not?
>
> [snip]
>

>  Since the Asirkans are on the �ther side of Germany from
>> where the Romans would have met the Alemanni, it
>> wouldn't make much sense (to me) for them to use that
>> name.
>>

> Exactly - if you want Asirkans to sound plausible, they are
> not going to be using the Alemanni name.
>

>  If they met Germanics early enough, they might predate
>> any Slavic or Baltic ethnonyms.
>>

> I think they would use _German-_ name only if (a) they did
> not have direct contact with the Germanic peoples, and (b)
> they had strong Latin influence.  Probably both are
> unlikely.  To take up the Slav name would be likely only if
> the Asirkans had strong connexions with Slaves and, probably,
> somewhat hostile encounters with the Germanic peoples.
>

> . On the other hand, the saks- name could come
>
>> from the Germanic word for knife, *sahsam (this is,
>> after all, what gives us Saxon).
>>

> maybe - but I'm sure the Fins and Estonians were as unaware
> of that as were the Welsh who call us English 'Saeson", i.e.
> Saxons.  It's from the tribal name, whatever its Germanic
> origin may have been.
>
> --
> Ray
> ==============================**====
> http://www.carolandray.plus.**com <http://www.carolandray.plus.com>
> ==============================**====
> "language � began with half-musical unanalysed expressions
> for individual beings and events."
> [Otto Jespersen, Progress in Language, 1895]

1d. Re: Choosing a word for "German"
    Posted by: "Scott Villanueva-Hlad" scotth...@telus.net
    Date: Wed Sep 4, 2013 5:16 pm ((PDT))

So my instincts were right. The question is one of history. I need to
determine that first before I go. All that I have read here has been so
fascinating! Thanks so much!
(My curiosity is still high about the V Root)
Scotto

> [...]

> the Asirkans had strong connexions with Slaves and, probably,
> somewhat hostile encounters with the Germanic peoples.
>

> . On the other hand, the saks- name could come
>
>> from the Germanic word for knife, *sahsam (this is,
>> after all, what gives us Saxon).
>>

> maybe - but I'm sure the Fins and Estonians were as unaware
> of that as were the Welsh who call us English 'Saeson", i.e.
> Saxons.  It's from the tribal name, whatever its Germanic
> origin may have been.
>
> --
> Ray
> ==============================**====
> http://www.carolandray.plus.**com <http://www.carolandray.plus.com>
> ==============================**====
> "language … began with half-musical unanalysed expressions
> for individual beings and events."
> [Otto Jespersen, Progress in Language, 1895]

2.1. Re: Colloquial French resources
    Posted by: "Roger Mills" romi...@yahoo.com
    Date: Wed Sep 4, 2013 8:40 am ((PDT))

From: Aidan Grey <taalenma...@gmail.com>

I'm positing stops > ? finally. /x/ > /h/, but /k/ in liaison
environments, and it remains there once the liaison is eroded. That's the
idea at the moment, anyway.

/x/ > /?/,  > /k/ is not so weird - it has happened in Modern Irish, for
one. It's not /x/ > /?/ > /k/, but > /?/ in one environment, and /k/ in
another (specifically, liaison / before a vowel across word boundary).

RM final [?] > -k- also in Makassarese (South Sulawesi, my stamping ground), so
one could say that final -? is _phonemic_ /k/.....Only problem is that all
former final stops went to -?

- diphthongs in jV and wV  (I think that's the falling diph., but I can
never remember)

RM bzzzt no. those are rising; falling dipthongs are Vj, Vw. (Think,
"falling/rising to the actual V sound".)

will disappear, the former through palatization, the latter
through.... I dunno.

RM Since in Romance langs. these mostly arose from single Vs, maybe they never
arose in your Wassa???
(Span. /we/ < VL short (open) /o/ [O], /ye/ < short (open) /e/ [E], likewise in
Italian.. Sort of the same in French IIRC but other developments interfered. I
don't know how _me:_ e.g. > early [mwe], modern [mwa] (but that and others
(loi, roi etc) came from long (close) [e] in VL.) And note _croix_ < *cruce-, I
guess maybe anticipatory assimilation? cruce- > cruec- ?????

- loss of nasalization on vowels - compensatory lengthening in response,
which before C will induce gemination. (this is where the -ss- of Wassa
comes from).

RM Hmm, what is the modern French counterpart of ?**wansa, if any? Or the
local/VL ancestor?

3.1. Re: Diminutive -ie/-y
    Posted by: "And Rosta" and.ro...@gmail.com
    Date: Wed Sep 4, 2013 9:03 am ((PDT))

Eric Christopherson, On 03/09/2013 02:30:
> Likewise there are some colloquial nouns ending in -/o/ here in the
> US, but I tend to think that suffix is more productive at least in
> Australia

Rampant -o is indeed Australian. In Britain -o is mostly restricted to proper
names. E.g. an Eric could be _Ez_, _Ezzie_, _Ezzo_, but, say, a book could be a
_bookie_ but not a _booko_. (Whereas _Ezzie_ can be not only a nickname but
also a diminutive, _Ezzo_ can only be a nickname. (I answer to _Andy_ as a
diminutive but not as a nickname.))

> (e.g. _arvo_ "afternoon" -- which additionally shows a voicing, as in
> _Aussie_, which has always puzzled me a little).

It's both puzzling and regular. E.g. _hospital> > _hozzie_, mosquito >
_mozzie_. I theorize that in lexical forms the fricative lacks the phonological
ingredient of sharpness, so is /z, v/ etc. A blanket phonological rule adds
phonological sharpness to the initial obstruent in tautosyllabic clusters in
sentence forms (-- actually, not only tautosyllabic but also in the same
minimal phonological word, i.e. not separated by a phonological word boundary).
When the lexical form is truncated so that there is no longer a tautosyllabic
cluster, the sharpening rule fails to apply. So, for example, the lexical entry
for _afternoon_ specifies /vd/. That appears in sentence phonology as /fd/ by
the sharpening rule. The lexical form truncates to /v/, to which the sharpening
rule doesn't apply.

--And.

4a. To diss
    Posted by: "C. Brickner" tepeyach...@embarqmail.com
    Date: Wed Sep 4, 2013 9:41 am ((PDT))

Hi!

While reading this morning, I came across the word “diss”. I decided to check
the etymology, so I consulted Wiktionary.   The article gave the translation of
“diss” into several languages.

I find it interesting that Danish, Dutch, German, Icelandic, and Swedish (all
Germanic languages) and Finnish have some form of “diss”, while the Romance
languages listed, French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish use some form of
“insult” or “defame”.

I imagine the difference has something do with conjugation.   I don’t think
that “disser” and “dissare” would work.   El me dissó???

But I love “er hat mich gedisst”.

Etymology of dis(s)? Originated in Jamaican Vernacular English or African
American Vernacular English , probably originally short for disrespect or
disparage .

Charlie

4b. Re: To diss
    Posted by: "Daniel Myers" d...@dmmyers.com
    Date: Wed Sep 4, 2013 9:54 am ((PDT))

One of my profs (natural language processing class) was very amused when
I suggested the past tense of "diss" should be "dast".

- Doc

4c. Re: To diss
    Posted by: "C. Brickner" tepeyach...@embarqmail.com
    Date: Wed Sep 4, 2013 10:10 am ((PDT))

dissen, dass, gedoten

or maybe

dissen, dußte, gedußt

Charlie
One of my profs (natural language processing class) was very amused when
I suggested the past tense of "diss" should be "dast".

- Doc

4d. Re: To diss
    Posted by: "Anaïs Ahmed" aeetlrcre...@gmail.com
    Date: Wed Sep 4, 2013 2:52 pm ((PDT))

Ich deiß, du deißt, usw?

"C. Brickner" <tepeyach...@embarqmail.com> kirjoitti 4.9.2013 kello 12.10:

> dissen, dass, gedoten
>
> or maybe
>
> dissen, dußte, gedußt
>
> Charlie

4e. Re: To diss
    Posted by: "C. Brickner" tepeyach...@embarqmail.com
    Date: Wed Sep 4, 2013 3:53 pm ((PDT))

I'm no German scholar, but I doubt that.  It's a brand new verb and wouldn't
have those irregular vowel changes.
Ich disse, tu dissest, er disst, wir dissen, ihr disset, sie dissen

I guess???

Charlie

> One of my profs (natural language processing class) was very amused when
> I suggested the past tense of "diss" should be "dast".
>
> - Doc

4f. Re: To diss
    Posted by: "Daniel Prohaska" dan...@ryan-prohaska.com
    Date: Wed Sep 4, 2013 4:06 pm ((PDT))

Nooo,

I(ch/ik) diss(e), du disst, er/sie/es disst, wir/sie dissen, ihr disst...

Sent from my iPhone

On 05.09.2013, at 00:53, "C. Brickner" <tepeyach...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

> I'm no German scholar, but I doubt that.  It's a brand new verb and wouldn't
> have those irregular vowel changes.
> Ich disse, tu dissest, er disst, wir dissen, ihr disset, sie dissen
>
> I guess???
>
> Charlie

4g. Re: To diss
    Posted by: "Anaïs Ahmed" aeetlrcre...@gmail.com
    Date: Wed Sep 4, 2013 4:32 pm ((PDT))

I was only joking, of course. :)

"C. Brickner" <tepeyach...@embarqmail.com> kirjoitti 4.9.2013 kello 17.53:

> I'm no German scholar, but I doubt that.  It's a brand new verb and wouldn't
> have those irregular vowel changes.
> Ich disse, tu dissest, er disst, wir dissen, ihr disset, sie dissen
>
> I guess???
>
> Charlie

4h. Re: To diss
    Posted by: "Scott Villanueva-Hlad" scotth...@telus.net
    Date: Wed Sep 4, 2013 5:19 pm ((PDT))

I always hear "disrespect" used as a verb.
"He disrespected me." It feels like sandpaper on my eardrums.

> I'm no German scholar, but I doubt that.  It's a brand new verb and wouldn't
> have those irregular vowel changes.
> Ich disse, tu dissest, er disst, wir dissen, ihr disset, sie dissen
>
> I guess???
>
> Charlie

4i. Re: To diss
    Posted by: "Scott Villanueva-Hlad" scotth...@telus.net
    Date: Wed Sep 4, 2013 5:21 pm ((PDT))

PS... no one considered a weak verb: dissen, disste, gedisst...