1a. Re: A directionality operator for word coining
    From: Matthew George

2a. Re: the Deep Structures of Language
    From: Eric Christopherson

1a. Re: A directionality operator for word coining
    Posted by: "Matthew George" matt....@gmail.com
    Date: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:20 pm ((PDT))

Perhaps it could apply to "to cause to exist", because there's a direction
of causality (if only an abstract, metaphorical one).  Or for parenthood -
"to be the parent of" vs. "to be one's own parent".  I grant there wouldn't
be many cases where turning these verbs inward would be useful, unless
you're talking about certain divine entities, advanced mathematics, or
Robert Heinlein's "All You Zombies".

Alternatively, perhaps 'ar-' is specifically and literally spatial, so
unless the verb is talking about a physical direction the prefix cannot be
applied.

Matt G.

2a. Re: the Deep Structures of Language
    Posted by: "Eric Christopherson" ra...@charter.net
    Date: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:46 pm ((PDT))

On Sep 23, 2013, at 3:49 AM, Alex Fink <000...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 21:54:35 -0400, Ph. D. <p...@phillipdriscoll.com> wrote:

>>> MRL?
>>>
>>> All I kind find is "morphology-rich languages"; but that doesn't seem
>>> appropriate.
>>
>> MRL = Monster Raving Loony; languages which have one form for S and
>> another for both A and P.
>
> http://www.frathwiki.com/Conlang_terminology#Conlang-exclusive_terms updated.
>

> Alex

Oh! And of course there are languages where NPs aren't marked for S, A, -or- P.
I recall a little bit of an example of such a language in _Describing
morphosyntax_; in that language, it is at least allowed (though I'm not sure if
it's preferred) to say "A girl kicked; a boy was kicked".