1a. Re: PIE short and long vowels (was Spoken Indo-European)
    From: Hugo Cesar de Castro Carneiro
1b. Re: PIE short and long vowels (was Spoken Indo-European)
    From: Matthew Boutilier

2. THEORY: Native languages of the Americas in popular music
    From: Leonardo Castro

1a. Re: PIE short and long vowels (was Spoken Indo-European)
    Posted by: "Hugo Cesar de Castro Carneiro" hcesarcas...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Oct 1, 2013 6:55 pm ((PDT))

germanic evidence:
long vs. short vowels is North Germanic languages
and long vs. short vowels in West Germanic languages before the Great Vowel
Shift

    Posted by: "Matthew Boutilier" bvticvlar...@gmail.com
    Date: Tue Oct 1, 2013 7:27 pm ((PDT))

long vowels in Gmc come from 1. short vowels before laryngeals (or nasals
that in various Gmc dialects were lost before fricatives), or 2.
monophthongization of PIE diphthongs (the only one being *ei > *ī), or 3.
(North and West Germanic only) the so-called "*ē2" apparently as a
simplification of reduplicated perfects.

you seem to be hinting at the (phonemic) difference between Middle English
/e:/ and /E:/. i ask you: what does this have to do with PIE?

matt

    Posted by: "Leonardo Castro" leolucas1...@gmail.com
    Date: Wed Oct 2, 2013 6:43 am ((PDT))

I think that songs in Guarani are not only "folk music" in Paraguay,
but "popular music", because they are in the music industry of that
country, with professional production, video clips, etc. There's even
a music genre called "guarania".

E.g.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_So2t21pms0

Are there other similar examples? Or is it part of the unique history
of Guarani among all native languages of the Americas? (Isn't really
there a gentilic for "the Americas" in English? Can I use "American"?)

BTW, I remember having heard an explanation for the difference in the
fates of American and African languages: the Americas were "new
Europes" while Africa environment was much more hostile to Europeans ;
European diseases killed native Americans while African diseases
killed Europeans. I don't if it's the preferred explanation nowadays.

Até mais!

Leonardo