Larry: Wow, I think you may have the facts wrong
again. I think Souter was not "the darling of
conservatives." Indeed, many conservatives were deeply
distrustful of Souter, but were assured by winks and
nods from the Bush camp that he would be ok.

Of course he is not ok. He would have made a great
Clinton nominee, perhaps, but he is the worst
nightmare of conservatives who were right to be
worried.

Rick Duncan

PS: Mike Paulsen has written a law review article on
the Souter nomimation in which he mentions that
conservatives were concerned that Souter might be
"squishy" or might "grow in the job." He also blames
himself for not disclosing confidential information
that might have stopped the nomination. Mike puts it
as only Mike can: "I am responsible--indirectly,
remotely, only contributorily, and perhaps excusably,
but nonetheless partially responsible--for the deaths
of one and a half million innocent unborn children per
year. I might have been able to stop the nomination of
David Souter to the United States Supreme Court...if
only I had been willing to violate my duty of
confidentiality as a government lawyer and leak to
pro-life groups my advance knowledge of Souter's
likely nomination to the Supreme Court by President
Bush in 1990." Paulsen, Hell, Handbaskets, and
Government Lawyers, 61 Law & Contem. Prob.83 (1998).

Cheers, Rick "never just a guy named Sununu" Duncan

--- Larry Sager <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This is why I try so hard to avoid facts.  On the
otherhand, I did say, and meant, that Souter was "in a
sense" Bork'sreplacement.  He was the darling of
conservatives who felt that Borkhad been unfairly
treated.

--Larry Sager