As any student of constitutional law, I try to understand what's REALLY
going on in terms of developments in the law, the Court's role historically
and now, and I read various explanatory attempts.  I understand there are
differing views as to what the Court SHOULD do as opposed to what it
sometimes does.  Often what the Court does is maddening according to point
of view on a matter, but it still needs to be understood and discussed in
order to try to make sense of role and institution, as well as opinion.

Like it or not, the Court decides cases according to its best lights in the
midst of what seems fairly to be called 'cultural wars.'  Slavery was a
cultural war of the first magnitude, as were Jim Crow, laissez-faire and
nationalism.  Broadly speaking, just about any subject area can be viewed
as being within someone's idea of what passes for culturally correct, and I
don't see how that could, or should, be avoided.

Assuming that is essentially correct, it's our job as students and teachers
of conlaw to try to see, understand, and explain to students the big
picture, i.e. the cultural conflict, as well as the narrow holding.

I noticed yesterday's obituary of Lester Maddox the owner of the Pickrick
Restaurant in Atlanta who later became governor of Georgia as the result of
the notoriety gained from his segregationist stance.  He sold pickaxes used
to threaten blacks to prevent their patronizing his restaurant.  Of conlaw
significance is the fact that, according to the obit, he did this in
reaction to the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which caused a
backlash.  I've saved the clipping for class purposes in order to
illustrate the context in which Katzenbach v. McClung, the Ollie's BBQ
case, arose.

Another notable death yesterday was that of Strom Thurmond.  Both Maddox
and Thurmond were the arch-segregationists of their day, the very symbols
of anti-integration.  Yet both, no doubt with an eye on the counting of
black votes, modified their stances.  I wouldn't have imagined they would
be able to do that.

That is very interesting to this student of constitutional law, the idea
that people can change deeply held views if they realize it's in their
interest to do so.  Presumably the Court, which apparently views the world
over which it has some jurisdiction in 25-year sound-bites, is aware of
this.

When you're in a cultural war and the Supreme Court vote goes against you,
what are your choices?  You either give up or keep on fighting.  In Roe,
the fight continues.  I doubt the Court anticipated the depth of that
cultural war.

In Lawrence, the  cultural conservatives will fight until the issue is no
longer good for raising money, I suspect, which may be a long time.

Robert Sheridan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

And