This is my first posting, and I was loath to begin here, but the simple point Professor Fisch is missing is that while life, liberty and property are substantive rights, that they may be deprived only by due process makes clear that the DP clauses are procedural by any fair reading.  Since I don't claim any particular wisdom, I'll rely on Ely's quip that substantive due process is like green pastel redness.  It's not a big deal, but I too think the Slaughterhouse Cases were wrongly decided, and though we've come a long way down the due process path, there is no reason that we couldn't clean up the mess by way of overruling Slaughterhouse Cases and putting our enumerated and Ninth Amendment rights where they should have been all along.  As for the citizenship/personhood dichotomy, the equal protection clause, as I recall it, refers to persons, not to citizens.

Marshall Dayan
North Carolina Central University School of Law

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 07/13/03 10:03PM >>>
Perhaps I'm missing your point in turn, but I'm having trouble seeing the two clauses as sharply distinguishable -- even linguistically -- in terms of substance and procedure.  There is nothing inherently substantive about "privileges and immunities", which can be procedural as well as substantive (i.e., can relate to judicial process as well as to substantive right), and both P&I clauses have been so interpreted.  The term "due process" can be understood as purely procedural, of course, but the full DP clauses both refer to deprivation of "life, lilberty or property", which are clearly substantive concepts, and I would think that a "libertarian" revolution can find just as much nourishment in the clause that mentions "liberty" as in one that speaks only in terms of "privileges and immunities".  I understand that there is some evidence that some proponents of the 14th Amendment P&I clause thought that it could serve as an incorporator of more general fundamental rights; but my specific point is that that clause is a poor vehicle for modern human rights law, and that we should hope that the Court won't now decide to use it as such.  A legal system that makes fundamental human rights dependent on citizenship seems to me to be regressive, regardless of how privileged its citizens are.
Bill Fisch
-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Justin Lipkin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2003 3:50 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Justice Kennedy's Libertarian Revolution

In a message dated 7/12/2003 11:12:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

No doubt I'm missing something, but doesn't the P&I argument still suffer from being limited to "citizens"?

       I'm not sure how this is relevant to the point I hoped to make about resurrecting the privileges or immunities clause.  I wasn't addressing the scope of the clause--to whom it applies, citizens or persons--but rather whether a "libertarian revolution" would better be conceptualized in terms of the privileges or immunities clause which I understand to include substantive rather than procedural rights. In my view, it is necessary to jump through the hoops to explain how the due process clause can house substantive components, and even if it does, how does one know which substantive components are housed there. With the privileges or immunities clause, at least as I understand it, whatever rights it houses (and of course the problem of determining which rights are there remains a problem) are substantive. Even if one understand the clause to apply to citizens only, substantive liberty seems more closely associated with privileges or immunities than with due process.  I hope I've understood your comment correctly, and that this reply is responsive to you post.

Bobby Lipkin
Widener University School of Law
Delaware