A larger problem for Justice Scalia in Printz is that after he says text doesn't help (which by the way it does, see Steven's dissent), is that Scalia then purports to look at history, structure, and precedent, though history and structure clearly cut against the result. New York does support the decision but is also inconsistent with text, structure, and history. In other words, Printz is indefensible without reliance on "policy," an interpretative device that Scalia, of course, fails to mention.

Eric Segall
GSU College of Law

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/15/03 01:23PM >>>
Scott:
Do you think Scalia was being inconsistent in this case?

In addition to Larry Tribe's comment, I would recommend Sandy Levinson's piece,
"The Operational Irrelevance of Originalism." The question of the authority of
precedent is obviously a significant challenge for originalists, but Scalia
does address this issue in a number of places (including in his dissent in
Union Gas, if I remember correctly).

Richard Dougherty
University of Dallas