I meant my "I don't know if anyone cares" line as an apology for my own complete geekishness in finding this issue interesting when folks might wish to devote their email to seemingly weightier matters.  I remain very interested in this, and I don't have a clear view of my ultimate opinion on the question, but I am still unconvinced by the "Spending Clause legislation can't be defended under the Commerce Clause" argument.

I'd be more sympathetic to the political obstacle point if the choice of a particular power on which to ground the law had some effect on the coverage or substance of the law.  So I can understand why it might be possible to say that the statute invalidated in Lopez can't be justified as applied to the District of Columbia under the "exclusive legislation" clause -- even though that clause plainly gives Congress power to adopt a gun-free school zones law for D.C.  To me, that's essentially a question of severability:  Would Congress have intended for the statute to be upheld only as applied in D.C. (and presumably the territories) if it could not be upheld as applied in the states?  Under traditional severability principles, the answer might well be no.  We presume Congress wouldn't have wanted the statute to apply in only a small set of cases defined by a principle that is essentially random with respect to the underlying purpose of the statute.  But where the choice of a particular power has no substantive effect on any application of the statute, I can't imagine Congress would care.  Again, I could be wrong, but I'd like to see an example where the mere choice of power -- absent some kind of substantive effect -- mattered to Congress.

Maybe this is a false distinction:  We only care about the choice of power because we think that the statute is more likely to be upheld under one power than another, so opponents of a statute like 666 may have agreed to go along with it as Spending Clause legislation, knowing that it would be invalidated if the government sought to justify it on that ground.  The pro-666 people get a symbolic victory; the anti-666 people get a good chance to get the statute wiped off the books.  This kind of gamesmanship seems plausible to me (although I don't know whether it's happened) with some kinds of legislation but not others.  (So I could see opponents of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 -- or, to bring matters up to date, an "ADA Restoration Act" -- saying they'd go along only if the statute were justified as Section 5 legislation.  But it doesn't seem like a plausible scenario for a statute like 666.)

I take Prof. Bezanson's judicial power point.  But I think there are two separate questions here:  what powers the court can consider when a statute is challenged, and how broadly will the court write its opinion when it considers those powers.  So a pro-restraint person shouldn't have had a problem if the Lopez Court had considered every potentially relevant power that might justify the Gun-Free School Zone Act; such a person should have had a problem if the Court had opined broadly on the limits of those powers in ways that were not necessarily relevant to the particular case.

Anyway, it's clear I find this issue entirely more interesting than I probably should, so I should probably leave it here.