Yes. And many people do it that way. However in my case, they are not only grouping poms, but also have overall scoping documentation, since mostly they're not just "collections of subprojects" but groups that you could say have a product definition. So we document stuff at that level, since it's the logical parent of its child components. So in our case, pom projects (with some exceptions) have more semantics than merely "a bunch of stuff in modules"

Christian.