I think this is the same error I was running into a while back.  Do you have a
special 'settings.xml' file for your project or Maven installation?  If so,
where are you placing that xml file for Maven to find?  If it is Maven's 'conf'
directory, that doesn't seem to work.  You may need to create a .m2 directory
in your home directory and put the settings.xml file there.  Once I did that,
the whole release mechanism in Continuum worked.  Not sure why Continuum didn't
pickup the settings.xml file from Maven's 'conf' directory.

Here's a link to Maven's documentation about the settings.xml file and the home
directory (for *nix and Windows):

http://maven.apache.org/settings.html

Hope this helps,

Johnathan