On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 00:17, Pierre Jarillon wrote:
> Perhaps is it useful ? I just receive from  [Alsa-user]
> It is a problem with Mdk 9.1 but Mdk 9.2 is not very different.
>
>  [Alsa-user] ALSA Fix!!!
>
> I finally got it right! Ok I am running Mandrake 9.1 on a Sony
> PCG-V505BX. My original modules.conf was this:
>
>         probeall scsi_hostadapter usb-storage ide-scsi
>         probeall usb-interface usb-ohci ehci-hcd
>         alias eth0 e100
>         alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
>         alias char-major-10-250 sonypi
>         options sonypi minor=250
>
> So I thought "Hey I have a Sony Desktop with the same distro that has
> ASLA working on a i810 chipset". I took what I found in that
> modules.conf and changed mine to this:
>
>         probeall scsi_hostadapter usb-storage ide-scsi
>         probeall usb-interface usb-ohci ehci-hcd
>         alias eth0 e100
>         above snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm-oss
>         alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
>         options sonypi minor=250
>
> Apparently Mandrake does not probe this card correctly during install.
> This may fix other distros too! Hope this helps the rest of you too. ;)
> One more thing. Run it for a bit. For some reason it does not work with
> all apps right away. Let me know if you want a workaround with that too.

So...to cut all the BS, he changed from the OSS/Free driver to the ALSA
driver. Woo. the i810_audio (OSS/Free) and snd-intel8x0 (ALSA) drivers
support a rather wide range of hardware, and I think each is better on
some particular variations. I think it's pretty hard to pick which
should be the default. Even if it ought to be ALSA, it's by no means as
clear-cut a decision as this particular user's experience indicates.
--
adamw