Henri a écrit:

Gary Greene a écrit:

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 12:31 pm, Henri wrote:

Gary Greene a écrit:

>On Tuesday 11 March 2003 3:07 am, Henri wrote:
>
>Thanks !
>Could it be possible that mandrake provides a precompiled kernel without
>apic and detect at intall when the machine is a buggy one ?
>(Of course if only the presario 7xx has the bug, it would be stupid...)
>

>This is how SuSE gets around this problem.

Am i supposed to switch my notebook to another distrib "just" for that ?
It is quit important for a notebook and i think that this mandrake
version was supposed to be a easier one for notebook : zeroconf,
switchprofiles...and apci is one of the main new features, so can't
there be a special kernel for the buggy bios ? PLEEEAASE !!

I believe I'd have to second that since I have a Presario 700E notebook that
has exactly this problem. Before now I've been having to use SuSE on it, but
if I can use Mandrake with out difficulties, I'd prefer that.

About compiling a kernel, getting the kernel-source rpm, editing the
config file and using rpm --rebuild should be ok, shouldn't it ?
While talking about the kernel, isn't there anymore the kernel-header
package ?? That means we have to download all sources just to compil an
new driver (NVIDIA for ex) ???

>And isn't it possible to use "noapic apci=on" on boot instead of
>recompiling ?
>
>Sascha Noyes a écrit:
>
>>On Monday 10 March 2003 17:14, Henri wrote:
>>
>>on presario 700 : upgraded 9.0 to rc2 : apci does not work.
>>i made a non-expert upgrade, and packages apci and apcid were NOT
>>installed by default.
>>I went to control center->lilo config and then it installed it BUT
>>TURNING IT ON FREEZE THE PC AT BOOT !
>>using the non-fb entry, i can see it frozen on a the apci PCI
>>detection....
>>

>>Sascha's obligatory Presario 700 message:
>>
>>This series of laptops has got bugs in its implementation of Power
>>Management
>>(which is done entirely with the newer ACPI and not the old APM). This
>>causes
>>the machine to lock up on boot with the default kernel. It is possible
>>to boot the default kernel with the switch "acpi=off" added at boot
>>time, but
>>then power management is not available. (So the fan will go 100% all the
>>time, etc.). It is therefore necessary to recompile the kernel without
>>APIC
>>(yes: without APIC, and with ACPI (they conflict) and ACPI is what is
>>necessary for power management) to get power management features.
>>
>>See the following for a detailed how-to for getting everything working:
>>http://individual.utoronto.ca/noyes/projects/laptop/tuxtop.html

I've seen the last -13mdk kernel says apic is disabled on more motherboard -> going to update from RC2 to this last kernel and tell if that work.

GREAT ! that is now working ! at least, i see the percentage of charge, if i'm on battery or not in kde !! Thanks to J. Quintela for this new update !!!
Now, how to test suspend/hibernation etc modes ? it asks me for commands...
thanks to all.

so, that's fun to talk about Iraq, but is there any solution found for the APCI bug concerning sacha's US presario ?