<IMHO>
Releasing means supporting. supporting a product requires an organisation and knowledge being available. It also needs to be worthwhile --> bring some $$$ to the company. For the alpha, mips, pa-risc and sparc the market is too small.

Since I'm more or less the maintainer of the alpha port, I've had some interesting discussions with mdk employees on this topic. I don't have the illusion that the alpha port will ever turn into a "product" that will be supported and even bring revenue to mdk. I see it as my personal research project --> I want to prove that maintaining multiple ports can be done efficiently...
</IMHO>

Also, don't forget updates. Unless the people who build these ports are willing to maintain a system/chroot/whatever dedicated for 18mos for building updates for these ports, it won't happen. As Stefan says, making this stuff "official" means it needs to be maintained; without having access to these various machines for the duration of the lifecycle, it's not even worth starting it.

Yes.

That being said, there is nothing from stopping a community built/community
hosted unofficial port; the community builds the port, the community
maintains the port, and MandrakeSoft doesn't have any official dealings with
it (ie. the community completely and 100% supports it themselves).

Yes.

For alpha, mips, pa-risc, and sparc, I think that would be the best shot.
You could like talk ibiblio or someone into hosting the port if you wanted
to make an "unofficial 9.2/pa-risc" release (or whatever).

We first need to get our act together :-) The alpha port is still on the mdk mirrors at the moment. I can imaging that mdk perhaps won't do the same for the other ports that have sprung up lately.

For PPC, I'd love to see it released in tangent with x86 (as well as x86-64
and ia64 I guess).

Yes. Have release schedules been published for these products?

Stefan