Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Jaroslaw Zachwieja wrote:
>> On wto 10. czerwca 2003 09:30, Olivier Thauvin wrote:
>>

>>>No ! give me a good reason to buy a ppc distro ! mandrake sell 3 CD,
>>>exactly what I can download. Why PPC is not interesting ? Why nobody buy
>>>PPC ?
>>

>> Actually, I think you're having this wrong. People are reluctant to buy
>> boxed set of PPC not because it's available (if that would be truth,
>> nobody would buy boxed sets from Mandrake). It's becouse the release
> cycle
>> is too long and it's future vague.
>
> And conversely, if people bought boxed sets of 9.1, then
> 1)It's future would not be vague
> 2)The release cycle could be made to coincide better with i586.
>
> Classic chicken and egg scenario. But, the problem is there is another
> chicken farm ...
>
> IMHO, the problem is that OS X is a good enough unix for most (and has
> some advantages in terms of commercial software support), and PPC arch
> has a much smaller market share, so the small market share Mandrake has
> results in a tiny market for Mandrake PPC, whereas the large x86 market
> with not many more competitors is results in vastly superior market (in
> absolute numbers) for Mandrake i586.

By observing people around, I'll tend to say that they use OSX because
debian/ppc (the non x86 "standard linux distro") is not easy to install, and
doesn't seem to use the macintosh hardware as efficient as OSX could. Mandrake
PPC has a good chance to gain users to the linux cause. OSX has still some bad
points, like speed problems.

Or at least that's how the situation is seen for most technological advanced
mac users.

--
dams