Thanks for the workarounds to try. I have had about the same success as
Adam. The RPM generated and manually re-generated modprobe.confs are wildly
different. I will try the USB workaround but I can't get the touchpad to
work. It's a synaptics touchpad. Also, ACPI does not work for me, if
enabled, it will freeze just after initialization. I had to download the rpm
source and recompile with ACPI diabled.

Thanks all for the info.

Cory