On Thursday 04 September 2003 00:32, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Ainsi parlait Michael Scherer :
> > i suggest the last solution, but, maybe someone see a problem ?
>
> Yes, coherency with other development tools.
> How many packages really requires autoconf/automake ? I guess less
> than 1%. However, autoconf/automake are rpm-build dependencies. Here
> we have more packages requiring what appears some new build tool, and
> we are gonna add it as an explicit require for each of them. This is
> plainly silly.

this will affect maybe 10 packages, which is not too much.

i guess that only 10 packages, because nobody see the problem until now.

this 10 package will be used to :

- build rpm, and it will use pkgconfig, because of autoconf, most of the
time.
- build from source, and it will use pkgconfig, for configure script,
because library authors put pkgconfig in their macros.
- develop a software, which means that people will have to figure what
are the good argument for gcc, and this is where they will use
pkgconfig. I guess that documentation will also say to use pkgconfig.
but, of course, it can be used without it.

autoconf/automake is only used when developping a application, and when
we patch a configure script for rpm building. Patching a script to suit
our needs is almost the same as developping a application. That's why
packages should not requires autotools. Most of the time, people don't
need it.

pkgconfig is different, because, most of the time, people will need it
for a proper use of the library ( -devel rpm of the library ). I do not
say to add pkgconfig requires on each library, but only to the ones
that have almost 90% chances of using it.

--

Michaël Scherer