On Sat 2003-09-06 at 17:32:45 +0200, you wrote
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Benjamin Pflugmann wrote:
> >
> > The good news is, the old problems network cards seem already fixed.
>
> Which cards (out of interest)?

Will look it up.

> What problems?

Difficult to explain, especially since I never had a chance to really
debug it. At the end, I got it working. It was the default install,
that made the problems. He has the same card twice. One connected to
another computer, the other to ADSL (T-Online). Using the wizard
(during install) and letting it do, configured something, but it did
not work at all.

We tried some different things with drakconnect after install had
finished. Then I started inspecting in the shell. The most strange
thing was that some files (ifup-bla) could not be found, because they
were named wrongly. The name had something appended - the module name,
IIRC.  Something like "ifup-eth0 (3c90x.o)" (no, he doesn't have a
3Com, I just made the example up).

After renaming the files and one or two other tweaks (we had assigned
an IP twice ;), everything worked fine.

I know it would have been a lot better, if I had tried to get a
reproducable bug report then, but I only visit him from time to time
and it already was deep in the night (we already had spent the whole
day on the computer - starting with installing Windows XP).  We
explicitly had left space for a second clean install, but there was no
time. :-(

Because this time a "find" for files with spaces in /etc turned up
nothing, I think the bug was gone. We had other problems in getting
the network to work (loopback not working), but that is a different
story (I need to retry it first and document the errors).

> I think back before WindowsXP, when single-user windows machines typically
> didn't have passwords by default, maybe having this by default was ok, but
> now it's not a good idea. Especially with the problems it causes (almost
> every user who uses autologin asks why they sometimes get the KDE
> multi-option logout screen, and sometimes the 2-option one).

Agreed. Times have changed. IMHO, Windows XP moved in the right
direction with this step. And Mandrake Linux 9.2) does a step
backwards, if this is kept.

> It would be nice if autologin were part of drakdm, and if gdm or
> kdm/mdkkdm are used, they are configured for autologin, instead of using
> the autologin method provided by the autologin package.

Would you mind to elaborate on the difference? I think you have lost
me somewhere. :-)

> > Hm. I think I was not very clear. Let's try again. If there is just
> > some HOWTO I need to read about surround sound, just tell me so, and I
> > am away in a sec searching again. But if not - and that was my
> > impression from the search I have done - my question is, what is the
> > current state and is it feasible for Mandrake to try to include
> > support for it (not for 9.2, of course). Austin, maybe you know more
> > about that?
[...]
> > PS: I know I was too unspecific about hardware info. I can only get it
> >     when I visit my friend. So, if you need to know anything, let me
> >     know, and I will look it up when I am next time at his house.
[...]
> At this time, it's almost impossible to give advice on configuring sound
> cards if we don't know what it is ... especially features such as surround
> sound which aren't implemented on many cards (even with their own Windows
> drivers).

Oh, but that was exactly what I wanted to hear: Whether there should
be some general tool/direction I could use, or if it is still a mess
and I have to dig it up for the specific card. As I said, I already
feared what you said, but simply wanted to check back before I get too
deep into the wrong direction.[1]

Bye,

        Benjamin.

[1] The problem is I have no clue about sound on Linux[2], because
    everytime I needed it, it just simply worked for me.

[2] Well, I knew, that there is ALSO and OSS, but that's it. Well, not
    completely, because I learned more than I ever anticipated to
    know, the last two days while searching for an answer.