Richard Houser wrote:
> I'm currently working on modifying the latest ACPI patch for the 2.4.19
> kernel to work on mandrake 2.4.19-8mdk kernel.  I have no clue if my mod
> will work, but I'll post it if it does (I'm about 3 hours in now and I
> see a lot of inconsitencies in the variable names for the ACPI machine
> width).

You might like to take a look at one of SUSE's kernel developer's
kernel images.
Last I heard, they've incorporated ACPI (2.5er acpi backport),
but as I understand it, it won't work for other laptops that do not
need ACPI, (like mine).

It's at:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/mantel/next

> I think providing a kernel with ACPI support (or at least patching it in
> disabled by default) would be a huge plus for any of the modern laptop
> users.  Running without any power management makes my machine very,
> very, very hot and it gets less than a quarter battery life even after
> modifying the hard disk spindown times.
I dunno.
My battery life under mdk is the slightly better than under win2k.
Personally, even though my USB mouse, touch pad and ethernet card work
fine with mdk's default kernels, I would have wanted to have the sound
card and sonypi support included too.
But since I prefer to slim down and recompile my own kernels from
mdk's stock, it matters little to me.
Besides, with a base spec file, it's very easy to create rpms of new
mdk kernels with my hardware supported.

--

Paolo
There is a 3% difference in genetic material between us and apes.