Adam Williamson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 10:43, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
>
> > > (13) 3D acceleration: whatever does this refer to?
> > > why would 3.3.6 give 3D, but not 4.2.0, and why is it "experimental"?
> >
> > There is no free software 3d acceleration for nvidia in XFree-4,
> > while there was an experimental one in XFree-3.3.
>
> Personally I think this section should be changed to make it *REALLY*
> clear that X 3.3.6 really isn't recommended. The wording here could well
> lead a newbie to choose 3.3.6, thinking it's the best option, whereas it
> definitely isn't (I know this because it's exactly what I did the first
> time I installed Mandrake); the 3D acceleration in 3.3.6 is pants anyway
> and unusable for most things you'd want 3D acceleration for, and 4.2.0

It's tagged "experimental". If people choose it, it's on purpose!

> is so much better in other areas that everyone should use it unless they
> have a really pressing reason not to. Perhaps it could make this more
> clear, and also mention the availability of closed-source drivers for
> 4.2.0 providing proper 3D support, which would hopefully mean less
> people would make my mistake.

When you buy the powerpack, you have the proprietary drivers in
the commercial CD's, and I think the drivers are automatically
installed (it's bad, but too many customers ask for it).

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/