i wanted to re-install  xscreensaver  (it doesn't matter why).
i tried to use "Remove software" in the Mandrake Control Centre.
when i marked  xscreensaver  for removal,
it told me i had to remove  xfce  &  gnome-control-center  as well (i did so).
so far, no problem.

when i opened "Add software" & marked the  3  packages for installation,
it told me "Everything is already installed" (maybe it didn't remove them).
i re-opened "Remove software" to check: they've gone!
so a problem: "Add software" wrongly told me they were installed.

i succeeded in re-installing the  3  packages using 'rpm -i',
after which they correctly re-appeared in the "Remove software" listing.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]