> You can buy new burners for about $30 ($40 for a 24-40x) that can easily
> handle 700MB discs.  If you have a burner that can't (as 700MB discs are
> the now defacto standard and almost completly replace 650s)), it's
> either very buggy or total junk.  That extra 50MB per disc won't take
> too much longer when you figure the download time for the total set, and
> that extra 150MB set just might have the killer utility you need to fill
> in the gaps on any system.
>
> You could always reduce the size of the discs to 500MB so that someone
> with a very buggy 1X burner can make discs too, but that's even more
> foolish.  As long as the official iso's don't require a dvd-r (I go this
> route myself) or overburning, I say pack them as full as possible.
It's not that simple.
Mandrake overpacks the CD's plain and simple.
While 650 is starting to be the low standard, umm, 700m is pushing the limit.
Personally, my burner can handle 689m (that's the most i've tested), but it
can't handle the newer  ISO's. Why? Who cares. I just know what it can not
do. you can't just pack a cd rom that is (supposed) to be only 700m with 700m
of data  and give it no room for the sync.
**shrug**
I'll shut up before someone decides to call me a "whiner" again (wonderful
example of the 'understanding" staff at mandrake right?). I'm just waiting
till i can get more cd's and burn a real os, one that supports it's
customers, and respects them

 TJW: Head tech, Dreamless Realms
 Mud: http://dreamless.wolfstream.net
 Snippets http://dreamless.wolfstream.net/