Dear Tsung-Yi Yu:

thanks for your follow-up. Obviously I cannot speak for RIPE NCC and someone there might wish to provide a better answer than me.

But my observation is that the page which you are referencing is https://www.ripe.net/membership/member-support/list-of-members/list-of-country-codes-and-rirs/ which, to me, although I have not checked it in detail, looks like to be a copy of the ISO 3166-1 and ISO 3166-2 list maintained by ISO. In fact the page says: We update the list whenever a change to the official code list in ISO 3166-1 is made by the ISO 3166/MA.

I do not believe that APNIC and ICANN are referring to the ISO 3166 list when using other naming conventions as this would be a derivation from the list itself.

BTW I am of course sensitive to matters of country naming and understand how this can easily become both an emotional and political matter. I have personally witnessed several such instances.

For example, whilst ICANN might be exercising some alternative approaches in its own naming conventions (in the GAC, for example), matters of Top Level Domains which relate to ISO 3166 are strictly adhered to with the official name. For example, the delegation of the PS Top Level Domain for Palestine only took place in 2000, after the publication of the Code and Name in ISO 3166, which at the time was "Palestinian Occupied Territories". See: https://archive.icann.org/en/general/ps-report-22mar00.htm Since then, the name was changed by ISO 3166 to "Palestinian State". None of this naming had anything to do with ICANN - in fact all of this was negotiated over years at the United Nations.

Another example is that of MK - another "contentious" naming because of Greece's objections to the newly created country to call itself "Macedonia" and proposal that the country be called after its capital "Skopje". In October 1991 an agreement was struck for the newly independent country to be called FYRoM - Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. The .MK TLD was created in September 1993 following ISO 3166 naming convention. Today the country is officially listed as "North Macedonia", again through negotiations over years at the United Nations.

Last but not least, it has been emphasized on every occasion possible, that the ISO 3166 is not a list of recognised countries, but a denomination of countries and territories many of which are not sovereign territories. Thus the naming convention on ISO 3166 cannot be used as a means to establish a territory's sovereignty and vice-versa.

I hope this gives you a bit more background to see how complex and sensitive political situations are the realm of the United Nations and that is why when referencing the ISO 3166 list, organisations have been very careful to not stray from exact naming as listed in the ISO 3166 list and have therefore made sure they use and maintain that list word for word.

Kindest regards,

Olivier