Mark Collins wrote:
Dear Coot Community,
I'm having a few issues installing/running Coot 0.5-pre osx ppc. I have a G4 Powerbook and G4 mac mini, both running 10.4. First the powerbook and mini were hanging with the start (coot) image and the startup log says:
...(looks normal).....
There are 2 data in /sw/share/coot/lib/data/monomers/u/UR.cif
Reading coordinate file: /sw/share/coot/standard-residues.pdb
 PDB file /sw/share/coot/standard-residues.pdb has been read.
Spacegroup: P 1
Cell: 40.631 109.18 93.243 90 90 90

** (coot:439): WARNING **: Error loading pixmap file:
/sw/share/coot/pixmaps/smiles.png
art_render_invoke: no image source given

Having read the earlier posts ABOUT "art_render_invoke"

Just to recap, "art_render_invoke" is a irritating warning message about image construction. Many programs that load images trigger it. It has since been removed from the library.

I decide to move my sw/ to sw.old/ and reinstall fink as well as coot and all its dependencies. It now launches but still gives errors in the startup log... see attached. I am able to load a model, but am unable to upload any CNS maps (I used model_map_twin.inp) an error to do with headers. I guess the format must be wrong?

Maybe. For a short while there was a version of clipper that could not read the headers of some CNS maps. That was corrected. However, if that is the problem - and you do somehow have the older libs, you should trim back the header lines in the CNS map to less than 80 characters.

As for the mini, I did almost everything the same as the powerbook except, as an extra step prior to renaming and reinstalling everything, I downloaded and installed the stand-alone 0.4.2 (I think) pre-compiled binary from Bill Scott's site. But I still got the same hanging on the startup image with the same warning art_render_invoke. I then moved sw/ to sw.old and repeated as above. What is strange is that after reinstalling everything I still get the 0.4.2 startup image even though apt-get give me "Sorry, coot is already the newest version" when I try to install now (ie. 0.5-pre)

I feel like this is all a bit confusing, if anything needs further clarification please ask. Thanks in advance, Mark Collins

Blimey, what a lot of hoops you seem to need to jump through...(it shouldn't be like that, ideally).

For a reason unknown to me, the first time one starts Coot, typically on a mac can take many minutes. After that it starts up fine. That used to be the case, anyway.

Paul (not yet a MacCoot user).