All - can anyone help me with the syntax of the 'mutate_by_overlap'
scripting command.  I need to mutate a CYS to a chemically-modified entity
that I've called CYD.  I made a Refmac dictionary entry for this which I
read in & it's accepted.  I'm using WinCoot so I understand I must use
Python syntax.

I've tried the following:

mutate_by_overlap(0,"A",17,"CYD")

and also every variation of adding & deleting apostrophes & quotes I can
think of: everything I try is rejected, typically with this message:

coot >> mutate_by_overlap(0,"A",17,"CYD")
BL WARNING:: Python error!
(Or you attempted to use an invalid guile command...)
Python error:
an integer is required
<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>

and in the text window:

get_monomer ("CYD")
This is not a guile command!

What does it mean by "an integer is required"?

I've got to the point where I'm tearing my hair out with this, I hope
someone has some good ideas!

Cheers

-- Ian

PS I'm using a Gmail account because the JISCmail server wouldn't send a
joining confirmation e-mail to my Astex address (I tried several times & I
think 12 hrs is long enough to wait for the e-mail to arrive): does it have
something against Astex or is it just a glitch in the server?

Ian J. Tickle, DPhil.
Director of X-ray Technology
Astex Therapeutics Ltd
436 Cambridge Science Park