Federico Forneris wrote:
Dear Coot-ers,

I have a problem with CONECT records when I save PDB files with coot. I
noticed that coot renumbers the ATOM record in PDB files during save, but
does not in the CONECT section, thus showing weird connectivity on
coot-generated files opened with other visualization programs like PyMol.

I know that coot does not use CONECT records, but it would be nice if the
program could automatically rewrite the CONECT records properly in saved PDB
files or, at least, remove the CONECT section from files when saved as I
think that records present at the moment in coot-generated pdb files are
100% useless. Please correct me if I am wrong.

CONECT records are treated as strings on input, stored and then rewritten on output.

It should be noted that the library that is used in Coot to do this (mmdb) is common throughout much of CCP4 - I mean that it is not a Coot-specific issue.

If the CONECT record code is to be reworked (and that, as far as I can judge, is quite a substantial effort) it should rightly be done by Eugene Krissinel - is up to CCP4 and him to decide the priorities.

I agree that for the time being, Coot should not write CONECT records at all.