Seth Harris wrote:

Actually I do have a map button.

Hmm... I see.

But I'd rather write something in a script somewhere once than click the button and confirm the click EVERY time I start the program!

OK, I'm not understanding you then. If you start from fresh and you read in more than one map before refining anything, then of course Coot will not know which map to use. Understandable it seems to me. And typically one does not do that very often - certainly not every time.

If you use the state script, the state script contains the setting for the refinement map.

If you write your *own* script then you can easily set the refinement map as you read in your interesting mtz file:

(set-imol-refinement-map (make-and-draw-map "x.mtz" "2FOFCWT" "PH2FOFCWT" "" 0 0))

Hmmm, I had tried the (set-imol-refinement-map 1) in my .coot but obviously the problem was the map did not yet exist.

indeed.

So close! A monkey in the wrench... but it works beautifully if I put the (set-imol-refinement-map 1) into a coot_refinement_map.scm file and then my script adds the "--script coot_refinement_map.scm" option to the command line launching the program (at the end, I guess, to be sure the map is already loaded by then).

That will do then?

A small thing, but it felt time to get it right!

It is not clear to me if you need to "get it right" or you have succeeded in getting it right...