Hello everyone,

i am one of the maintainers of JOGL and wrote JOCL (http://jogamp.org/) and we are currently facing some signal handling issues caused by the nvidia and amd drivers. (I got the hint to post to this list since there is no better alias for this kind of topics)

e.g. the nvidia OpenCL driver uses at least the following handlers:
Warning: SIGSEGV handler expected:libjvm.so+0x5d8cf0 found:libnvidia-compiler.so+0x1865e0 Warning: SIGILL handler expected:libjvm.so+0x5d8cf0 found:libnvidia-compiler.so+0x1865e0 Warning: SIGFPE handler expected:libjvm.so+0x5d8cf0 found:libnvidia-compiler.so+0x1865e0 Warning: SIGBUS handler expected:libjvm.so+0x5d8cf0 found:libnvidia-compiler.so+0x1865e0 Warning: SIGXFSZ handler expected:libjvm.so+0x5d8cf0 found:libnvidia-compiler.so+0x1865e0
(-Xcheck:jni)

which basically makes the jvm unusable on Linux and leads to segmentation faults (in the driver, I suppose the driver catches jvm signals).

LD_PRELOAD (http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/trouble/TSG-VM/html/signals.html#gbzbl) works perfectly but it is not allowed for webstart + applets...

do you have any advice how we could workaround this issue? The perfect solution would be a "-XX:enableSignalChaining" flag which we could set via jnlp. Since the webstart JVM is out of process anyway (since u10 or so) this would probably work.

Why isn't signal chaining enabled by default on linux and solaris? It looks like a good self-defence mechanism for me :)

best regards,
Michael Bien

---

http://michael-bien.com