On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM, David Holmes <david.hol...@oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi Volker,
>

> On 15/11/2013 2:35 AM, Volker Simonis wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wanted to solve "8026964: Building with an IBM J9 boot jdk requires
>> special settings for BOOT_RTJAR"
>> (https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8026964) and came across the
>> question what the real semantics of BOOT_RTJAR is?
>

> For the combination of the OpenJDK libraries and VM it really just meant
> rt.jar (not everything on the bootclasspath) as the build system "knows"
> what is in there and that it is what was needed.

OK, but what is the definition of 'rt.jar'. I doubt that is is
something like "..the required classes needed to bootstrat the jdk..".
 I think that currently the build just works with the Oracle/OpenJDK
bootstrap JDKS because it happens that 'rt.jar' contains most of the
classes which have to be in the boot class path. But this is not the
case for J9 (e.g. they have SAXParser and other xml stuff in an extra
xml.jar). They have just distributed the classes over more .jar files
which seems perfectly legal.

> The other boot classpath
> stuff is not relevant to the build processes that set the bootclasspath.
>
> I don't see an issue with generalizing it to the full boot classpath but is
> it necessary? Can't you just define it to be rt.jar plus whatever jar(s) is
> needed for J9?

This was my first approach (see the description of
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8026964) but I was not sure
if I really got all the relevant jars. And this could actually change
any time the build references more or other classes or any time the J9
changes their class partition (not to speak about other JDK which may
choose yet another boot jar layouts).

So just using sun.boot.class.path seemed to be the easiest, most
general and most robust solution.