The design is such that running multiple secondary namenodes should not
corrupt the image (modulo any bugs). Are you seeing image corruptions when
this happens?

You can run all or any daemons in 32-bit mode or 64 bit-mode. You can
mix-and-match. If you have many millions of files, then you might want to
allocte more than 3GB heap space to the namenode and secondary namenode. In
that case, you will jave to run the namenode and secondary namenode using 64
bit JVM.

dhruba