Hi Greg.

Fascinating story of your AN-2 encounter. I got a static tour of one, just
across the field from the Mooney factory at the 33rd Annual EAA Kerrville
Fly-In at Louis Schreiner Field in Kerrville, Texas on 18 Oct 97. If
coupers list members want to see what Greg is talking about, I have a
picture of the AN-2 taken that day at Kerrville on my Web page at:

http://www.realtime.net/~magbo/kerrville.html

Go about 3/4 of the way down the page and look for a huge biplane with the
caption, "Best Commie Retread." 'Coupes were well represented that day and
I have pictures of several absolutely beautiful Ercoupes as well. I
remember being somewhat in awe when I first saw the huge AN-2 with its
massive radial engine and four-bladed prop. Very interesting to find it is
no faster than a 'Coupe.

A static tour is OK, but I have wondered since then how an AN-2 handled.
Glad I heard about it first from a 'Coupe driver, and that your 'Coupe
made
the connection for you in the first place. Thanks for sharing your story.

regards,
Steve
-----------------------------------
  Steve Greenhow
  Austin, Texas USA
  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  http://www.realtime.net/~magbo/
  (nom de plume "Downwind Jaxon")
-----------------------------------

At 09:08 PM 10/30/99 -0400, Greg Bullough wrote:
>At N85, there is an Antonov AN2, marked 'Lithuanian Airways' and
>operated by a couple of really interesting folks, who've been flying
>nearly forever.
>
>I was on my way to button 06H up when the local Stearman driver
>identified me as the owner of the cute 'Coupe, to the male half of
>the couple that owns the AN2.
>
>He said, 'would you trade an Ercoupe ride for some AN2 time?' Seems
>his wife (who flies the AN2) was licensed in 1952 in one of their two
>'coupes.
>
>'Hell, yes!'
>
>Well, I got to fly the AN2 up the Delaware river.  Gen-u-ine Russkie
>airliner, with a 1200 HP DC2 motor up on its nose (built under license by
PZL,