Nick Lindsell skrev, on 18-02-2008 15:23:

>           I have a courier-imap server

What Courier IMAP server?

> authenticating agains LDAP.

What LDAP?

What Courier authlib?

What OS, distro, version?

> When attempting to log in, I get
>
> 1 OK LOGIN Ok.
> * BYE IMAP access disabled for this account.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
>  From reading the documentation and the source, it seems that
> imapd is looking for an LDAP attribute "disableimap" to determine
> if the account is enabled.

There is another scenario in which that could happen, namely the
qmailUser schema's accountStatus attribute (which my sites use).

> We do not have such an LDAP attribute in our schema (I don't
> control that so have to assume we never will).

Unless you know what LDAP schemas your LDAP server uses and can govern
use of these, you might as well throw in the towel.

> Is there any way to disable this feature for courier-imap from
> any of the config files in /etc/courier?

None of my Red Hat-derived sites has any /etc/courier, so that is where
this reflection, however regrettably, becomes valueless.

> I would rather not hack the
> source as we would like to stay as vanilla as possible in case of
> future automatic updates.

I wouldn't hack any code if I were you, simply comply with the
instructions in INSTALL and other docs. Look, tens of (if not hundreds
of) thousands of sites are running Courier IMAP, many of them (including
mine) with LDAP as backend. No problems, no complaints. Everything
works. Now you come along and it suddenly doesn't any more.

One of the things I do have 100% access to are my LDAP (OpenLDAP
2.4.7/2.3.39) servers. I get along with them pretty well, build rpms for
them, configure them and use them for all cross-platform, multi-service
authentication on my Red Hat-derived sites. It's they that are the
be-all and end all of all front line authentication and info on my
sites, if Courier hadn't worked with them, I'd be using Cyrus or
Dovecot. But I happen to hold a candle to Courier.

> Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

The above is to be interpreted as "thoughts".

Best,

--tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw