On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 06:56:17AM -0700, David Feldman wrote:
> I'm trying to get courier-imap working on Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. I've
> been able to install and run a non-SSL setup via MacPorts (and guessing
> encryption is overkill since I'll just be connecting to the local
> machine) but am stuck on authentication. Again, since it's just a
> localhost connection I don't need anything fancy...but I'm unsure of how
> to set up courier-authlib so I can connect to the IMAP server with a
> username and password. The instructions that exist seem to suggest it
> should just work but it doesn't. I'm guessing that's because OS X uses
> Open Directory rather than the standard /etc/passwd setup. How should I
> proceed to get it working?

I don't have any OSX-specific information, but start here:
http://www.courier-mta.org/authlib/README.authdebug.html
to see what's going on.

You could always use a simple authentication module like authuserdb which is
independent of your system authentication.
http://www.courier-mta.org/authlib/README_authlib.html#authuserdb

HTH,

Brian.