On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:59:02AM +0100, Andy Smith wrote:
> The password fields have MD5 passwords stored and look like:
> {md5}177b8fafcf4d5454f605c563e212f156
>
> But Im not sure this will work with courier from what I read, the docs state
> that
> MD5 passwords have to be stored in clear text in MySQL.

No, but they have to be stored base64-encoded, not hex-encoded as you have.
It's fairly straightforward to convert one to the other (assuming your
md5 value is a plain unsalted hash of the original password)

e.g. using ruby:

irb(main):001:0>
[["177b8fafcf4d5454f605c563e212f156"].pack("H*")].pack("m").strip
=> "F3uPr89NVFT2BcVj4hLxVg=="

That is, try "{md5}F3uPr89NVFT2BcVj4hLxVg==" in the database.

You might be able to knock up something in mysql which does the conversion
dynamically, e.g. with a user-defined function.

Alternatively, you could look at modifying courier-authlib to accept both
hex and base64 passwords, based on the length seen (24 or 32 characters).
This is what exim does.

Regards,

Brian.