From: Brian Candler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Courier-imap] courier-imap & authldap authentication FAILED
To: "Al Dancer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: courier-imap@lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Thursday, July 10, 2008, 12:56 PM

?
>     Encrypted Password: {MD5}$1$vQjQZUcX$jATmvj1Ow2d2yAN5RDHH3.
>     I've tried to replace the salt MD5 password to {crypt} in LDAP,
and it
>     worked.

This needs documenting :-(

Anyway, look in courier-authlib/checkpassword.c and
courier-authlib/checkpasswordmd5.c and you'll see that {MD5} can only be
followed by a base64-encoded, unsalted MD5 of the password (24 characters)

If there is no prefix at all, you can use a Unix-style salted MD5 starting
"$1$..."

If the prefix is {crypt} it will use your system crypt() function, which
typically also implements the same Unix-style salted MD5.

So if you want {MD5}$1$... to work, then you'll need to make a minor code
change.

Alternatively, you can use LDAP_AUTHBIND 1 so that it becomes the LDAP
server's responsibility to compare the password, rather than
courier-authlib's.

HTH,

Brian.