From: Sam Varshavchik [mailto:mr...@courier-mta.com]
Sent: 01 May 2012 23:22
To: courier-imap@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Courier-imap] Courier IMAP has stopped acknowledging logins or
accepting commands

Phil Lavin writes:

> « HTML content follows »
>
> This is a very weird problem. I did a standard apt-get upgrade on
> Debian and got Courier IMAP 4.9.3-4. On upgrade all worked fine,
> however within 2 hours the imapd stopped acknowledging successful
> logins. When it works, it returns
> “1 OK LOGIN Ok.”. When it stops working, it returns nothing. The
> state, as I know it, is thus:

Check for the number of concurrent connections at that time. The server
enforces an upper limit on the number of concurrent connections overall, and
the maximum number from a given IP address. When the limit has been reached,
the server stops accepting any more connections.

> ·         It will acknowledge and log failed logins
>
> ·         It will not acknowledge or log successful logins and it will
> not accept commands after a valid login is supplied

If, for example, you're running NFS and the kernel hangs the user process on a
stalled NFS request, that's still an active connection, for all intents and
purposes. Until the process terminates, the connection exists. After some time
elapses, a sufficient number of dead zombies made the number of active
connections reach its maximum. That would be another possibility.