Doug McIntyre writes:

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 06:22:12PM -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> That's because there is nothing that the server can do to determine the
> client's real IP address. When NAT is used, as is apparently the case is
> here, as far as the server knows that's the IP address where the connection
> is coming from, and that's the only IP address that's involved. The real
> client IP address is only known to the network proxy.

What would it take to have Courier-IMAP support HAProxy Proxy Protocol?
https://www.haproxy.com/de/blog/haproxy/proxy-protocol/

I'm not familiar with haproxy, so I can't say; but Courier takes the incoming connection, sets environment variables to the socket peer's IP address, and forks off the child daemon. Whatever's happening with haproxy, mimicing this should result in logging reflecting the real client IP address.