Ben Rosengart writes:

> On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 11:59:49PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 11:51:01PM -0400, Ben Rosengart wrote:
>>
>> > We don't build the userdb on the same host where we use it.
>>
>> You have a site-specific custom configuration.
>
> The destination directory can currently be set at compile time.
> I am proposing making this configurable at run-time too.  What is
> the down-side?  Who could possibly be harmed by making the software
> slightly more flexible?

It reminds me of a quote I've heard a long time ago, regarding the federal
budget appropriations process in Washington, DC: "A billion here, a billion
there, and pretty soon you'll be talking real money."

>> > We could use the symlink trick, but what happens when we want to
>> > have a couple of different courier-imap installations with different
>> > userdbs?
>>
>> Create different symlinks.
>
> Can you explain exactly how this would work?
>
> Remember: the goal here is to be able to generate distinct userdbs
> from distinct source files on the same host.

Since you have different installs, just use different options to the
configure script, for each install.

>> Existing facilities already handle the situation adequately.
>
> How?  Unless I misunderstand the directory mechanism, neither of the
> methods you've suggested is adequate.

I do not really remember your particular details.

--
Sam